Question How can a website force logins across multiple browsers, even on multiple computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakawak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
I don't even know if this is the right forum since I don't know if it is a browser issue, or something else. I want to log into a supermarket website using two different "loyalty" accounts on separate browsers. This way, when I want to load coupons onto one account, I just open the one browser, and for the other, I open another browser. But no matter what I do, this website does not allow it. If I log into Account 1 on, say, Chrome, and then open Firefox and log into Account 2, then, if I go BACK to Chrome, it will be logged into Account 2. Even though I have NEVER logged into Account 2 on Chrome, so Chrome doesn't have any login credentials for account 2 stored in its cookies at all. It will even do this if I login to one account on my computer and then the other account on my phone. Does this suggest it is a router thing? And if so, is there some setting that I don't know about, or has Hannaford supermarkets just figured out some weird way to force something that literally no other website in the history of the internet has done?

lakawak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Username and password. Well, I guess technically e-mail and password. But it was directly into their login on their page, not through a third party.

I don't know if this helps, but I considered it being IP related, so I used Opera's built in VPN to spoof my IP address only on Opera while keeping my real IP on Chrome or Firefox. Still didn't work.

Last edited:
Username and password. Well, I guess technically e-mail and password. But it was directly into their login on their page, not through a third party.

I don't know if this helps, but I considered it being IP related, so I used Opera's built in VPN to spoof my IP address only on Opera while keeping my real IP on Chrome or Firefox. Still didn't work.

What happens if you login to Account 1 from your PC and to Account 2 from your mobile phone?

lakawak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Same thing no matter what the details are. Regardless of which account is logged in first, or where it is logged in (PC on any browser, or phone on any browser, or phone on the store's app), if I log in to the other account anywhere else, the original changes to that second account as well.

Obviously on the browser, if I literally don't do anything to the page, it will still show the first accounts details. So, if I am on, say, my "Clipped Coupons" page for Account 1, and then log into Account 2 somewhere else, that page will still show Account 1's clipped coupons. (It doesn't auto-refresh the page or anything.) However, if I manually refresh the page, or click on All Coupons, or just My Account or whatever, it then will show Account 2 stuff. And again, this is even if I have never logged into Account 2 on that browser so there is no saved login/password or cookies for that account in that browser.

It is absolutely insane that a store loyalty program would do this. It isn't as if there is any need for some sort of security. It is strictly for a loyalty program. No saved credit cards or any other payment information. And this is the first store that I have had this happen to, out of 6 or 7 supermarkets over the last couple years that I have accounts with. In fact, it is the only time I have seen this happen on ANY website. Granted, it is not that big a deal. I just wanted to save some time by not having to log out and log back in to the other account by just always staying logged in on both chrome and Firefox, both of which I use regularly enough that they are open throughout the day. But now, it is just driving me crazy to know how the hell they are doing it. (Why they'd want to would be nice too, but I'd settle for how now.)

lakawak

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
If you want to try it for yourself, it is hannaford.com and they don't actually have physicals loyalty cards, so you wouldn't have to worry about getting anything in the mail. You can make up two addresses if you wanted. I'm a bit curious if it is just me (meaning possibly router related?) or if it is some weird trick they know.

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"But no matter what I do, this website does not allow it. "

Actually, the store policy is likely one customer - one coupon.

Not one customer - duplicate, multiple accounts - duplicate, multiple coupons.

Contact Hannaford regarding their account and coupon policies.

Assistance with bypassing or otherwise working around the store policies (accounts and/or coupons) is against Forum rules.

Closing thread accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.