Question How can be CPU usage be at 50% and GPU at %70 but FPS still is low ?

Jan 11, 2022
hello guys. i have a question. like i said in title. why my GPU i not utilizing fully. cuz CPU is not bottleneck the GPU. could RAM become a bottleneck ?. i mean in game if the GPU util is not 100% and CPU is low as 50% then i would expect the FPS go very high right ? right now its 60 FPS at max. settings. when i lower the settings to min. in the game the fps rises to about 110 and my GPU at 35% and CPU at 40 % or so. why is that ?
the game is Elder Scrolls Online .

Asus TUF Gaming
i7-8750H
16GB Ram Single.
Nvidia Geforce GTX1060 6GB

Jan 11, 2022
Total cpu usage is meaningless, you need to monitor all cores/threads. Are any cores/threads close to 100%?

Also single channel RAM can gave a significant impact on fps.
okay i will monitor all the cores and see whats happening. last night i was testing it. and my CPU is overheating. 95 C . so CPU throttle. even tho throttle doesnt "seems to" effect clock beyond base clock its changed my mind when i set the PRC HOT from 96 C to 80 C. so when CPU reach 80 C CPU clock dropped. but something happened with this . the FPS jumped up alot. so i guess something in the CPU causesFPS drop when Cpu is at 96 C (manufecturer set Max CPU Degrees.) but not at 80 C . and yes i think Dual Ram will increase it alot. but the thing i want to learn is . is there stuations when the system at Dual channel ram Cpu and Gpu doesnt overheat Drivers are okay power is okay and still the GPU not utilize beyond 70 80 % and CPU isnt the bottleneck ? then what would be the possible reasons of bottleneck ? is it RAM ?. i mean at some point there has to be a bottleneck somewere otherwise we would have infinet FPS right ? also when we drop game settings to bare min. GPU usage gets down to about 30 % or so it means Gpu rendering the image so fast its just sits there right ? and waiting for next frame . at that point is there a posibility the bottleneck isnt the CPU ?

Spark23

Honorable
Aug 7, 2016
Your cpu is thermal throttling. You should download an app called throttlestop and disable turbo boost to prevent overheating. Also avoid gaming on battery, and play with laptop plugged in on the charger.
Single channel ram is a little bottleneck, but shouldnt cause that big of an issue.
Also its normal for the gpu usage to drop to 30% when you lower the settings as it doesnt need to work that hard to produce high enough fps.