[SOLVED] How can I add two screens as extended displays to Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15Ikb ?

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
Hello,
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15Ikb which has 1 HDMI port. I can successfully add a single extended display, but would like to add a second. I have bought two Dell monitors. I tried a USB-C splitter but found that the port on this laptop is data transfer only.
Ideally I would like an HDMI splitter where I can put in 1 HDMI cable to my laptop and that will split into two and extend my laptop display. If not, maybe a USB hub etc.

Can anyone advise a specific product that will work with my laptop?

Many thanks in advance,
Aryeh

Solution
Hello,
I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330S 15Ikb which has 1 HDMI port. I can successfully add a single extended display, but would like to add a second. I have bought two Dell monitors. I tried a USB-C splitter but found that the port on this laptop is data transfer only.
Ideally I would like an HDMI splitter where I can put in 1 HDMI cable to my laptop and that will split into two and extend my laptop display. If not, maybe a USB hub etc.

Many thanks in advance,
Aryeh

A splitter will just give you the same display on both screens. If you are going to be using this for just basic tasks, no gaming, you can a USB 3 video card...
Hello,

Many thanks in advance,
Aryeh

A splitter will just give you the same display on both screens. If you are going to be using this for just basic tasks, no gaming, you can a USB 3 video card. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb-3+to...696171&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4m2zhiw9d4_e

I have not used any of the cheaper ones, just the StarTech ones, but the cheap ones should work, just read reviews for them.

Solution

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
A splitter will just give you the same display on both screens. If you are going to be using this for just basic tasks, no gaming, you can a USB 3 video card. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb-3+to...696171&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_4m2zhiw9d4_e

I have not used any of the cheaper ones, just the StarTech ones, but the cheap ones should work, just read reviews for them.
Thanks, I don't need gaming, I am a software developer looking to extend my displays to see more code at once.
Does this mean I can use one HDMI connector to one monitor, and a second USB > HDMI convertor to add a second screen? Will I be able to work on both external screens?

aryeh

Prominent
Jul 23, 2020
I decided to go for one anyway to try it out (USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter, Ablewe USB 3.0 / 2.0 to HDMI 1080P Full HD(Male to Female) Video Audio Multi Monitor Converter Adaptor for PC Laptop Projector HDTV Compatible with Windows XP 7/8/8.1/10: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )
It arrived today, after setting it up, I can say it works but not the best experience I wanted. If the pc sleeps then the screen goes on standby and the computer thinks the connection is lost so any windows open get moved back onto the other screens. The general mouse response is quite laggy too, but I guess at that price it is expected not to be great experience.

I decided to go for one anyway to try it out (USB 3.0 to HDMI Adapter, Ablewe USB 3.0 / 2.0 to HDMI 1080P Full HD(Male to Female) Video Audio Multi Monitor Converter Adaptor for PC Laptop Projector HDTV Compatible with Windows XP 7/8/8.1/10: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories )
It arrived today, after setting it up, I can say it works but not the best experience I wanted. If the pc sleeps then the screen goes on standby and the computer thinks the connection is lost so any windows open get moved back onto the other screens. The general mouse response is quite laggy too, but I guess at that price it is expected not to be great experience.

The system probably kills power to the USB ports when the laptop is in sleep mode, since the video card is USB, it disconnects it, the monitor looses connection.

You are right that the product is cheaper and that would cause the mouse to lag a bit, even the hardware we use at work which is double the price or more has slower speed on the monitor connected to the USB video adapter.