[SOLVED] How can I avoid pulling my cpu out of the socket when I replace my stock cooler?

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
So I just bought a new cooler which is arriving in a few days and I see that some people rip the cpu out of the socket when they take off the stock cooler. What are some precautions I can take to make sure that this doesn't happen to me?

Solution
When you're ready to replace the cooler, power up the PC for a few minutes to allow the processor to heat up the thermal paste and loosen the cooler.

-Wolf sends

JustKun

Reputable
Jun 6, 2016
Dental floss. Works wonders after heating up the paste. Some pastes are just plain stubborn, so pulling dental floss like a saw across the paste will break the seal, and runs 0 risk of damage from metallic objects scratching the IHS.
Oh thank you! Can I use a sewing thread instead? Bc I have a ton of those.

alexbirdie

Respectable
Dental floss. Works wonders after heating up the paste. Some pastes are just plain stubborn, so pulling dental floss like a saw across the paste will break the seal, and runs 0 risk of damage from metallic objects scratching the IHS.

Cool idea. I did not know that.

I will remember, when I need to remove cooler for myself.

many thx for the very good hint. Sounds like perfect solution.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, I thought it neat idea too. The 'pin clamp' design amd favors isn't as good as the IHS locking clamp of Intel, so Ryzens are getting snatched.

Honestly though it's a rough thing all around. Realistically, if using a decent paste in the first place, you'd be good for @ 8 years± before needing repaste, so that only leaves cooler swaps as reasons to repaste. (generally, always an exception somewhere).

Haven't used the dental floss idea. But usually heat the system for about 5 minutes. Shut down. Unplug fan cable. Twist the cooler back and forth corner to corner, but don't lift up. You should feel the cooler at some point break loose, then you can pull it up. Just be sure to clean any remaining paste off your chip. Some people use isopropyl alcohol. I just use a soft cloth normally.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The cloth is requested to be 'damp' only with the isopropyl, not dripping. It's a solvent, and it's job is to remove oils that are present in pastes. The IHS could look perfectly clean, but any micro-fine scratches, pits etc will still be filled with the oils, so when new paste is applied, it doesn't fill the pitting and doesn't pass the thermals as well as it could.