Question How can I clone my C: drive to another internal drive D: and leave both in my computer

TGMcCallie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
In Win 10. I have Acronis Backup that I can use to clone my C: to D: Can I do this while both are internally installed? Also can I leave D: in my computer as long as I do not change the boot sequence from C:? Do you think this will cause any problem? I still want my computer to boot from C:....

Yes, you can do it while both are internal.

Yes, you can leave it in.

It has the potential to cause problems. If it somehow booted off the clone. You make changes to files. Reboot and it logs into the correct drive. Then update your clone and lose any file changes. It's not likely but has the potential of a problem.

Another scenario. You accidentally boot your clone without realizing it. But it isn't up to date and you don't catch it. You then procede to update your clone. Without realizing you are doing this from your outdated clone drive and wiping out updates to your source drive. I'm not sure how feasible this is with cloning software or if it would catch it.

TGMcCallie

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Tnen what is my option exactly if I want to use my SSD Sandisc 10 year warranted drive as my C: drive. I have cloned before with Acronis True Image without any problem.
Is this correct:? Example>>>>>Should I remove my SSD Sandisc from system. 1. hook it up with Hdmi to Sata cord externally and clone it. 2. After cloned remove C: from computer and replace it with the cloned SSD Sandisc drive.? That way I would not have to change the boot order in bios? Correct or not?

USAFRet

Titan
Tnen what is my option exactly if I want to use my SSD Sandisc 10 year warranted drive as my C: drive. I have cloned before with Acronis True Image without any problem.
Is this correct:? Example>>>>>Should I remove my SSD Sandisc from system. 1. hook it up with Hdmi to Sata cord externally and clone it. 2. After cloned remove C: from computer and replace it with the cloned SSD Sandisc drive.? That way I would not have to change the boot order in bios? Correct or not?

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.