How can I connect an old IDE hard drive via a usb port to my laptop?

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I want to connect my old hard drive ( very old) to my laptop via a USB port so I can retrieve some pictures.

I ordered a USB 2.0 to IDE or Serial ATA Drive Adapter from Amazon but the connectors on the adapter were different from my old hard drive's connection.

Can anyone tell me what adapter I need to get to accomplish this? Thanks in advance

If you got an ide/sata Drive adapter (not just sata) then we are going to need pictures because that should have worked for you.

If the drive is from a laptop then the often have a caddy and a special adapter already pluged into the port that then adapts to whatever special connecter was in that laptop. See if you can pull away the port on the back of the drive, if the port is not flush with the drive then it is likely an adapter and can be pulled off.

Don't know what adapter he has so we cant say he has the wrong one. I have seen several adapters that have 2.5 ide, 3.5 ide, and sata on it.

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I bought a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA Adapter and a 4 Pin Molex to SATA Power Cable Adapter. I haven't received them yet.

Would this work for an IDE/PATA external 3.5" hard drive? I just want to transfer the files and get rid of the hard drive!

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I have two old external hard drives ( 3 1/2" HDD/Optical drive ) that I took out of my retired PC's and now I've gotten around to try to retrieve pictures, etc... from them.

I have purchased a USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA adapter kit to connect the hard drive to a laptop. The adapter fits and seems to work.

Now how can I get Windows to recognize the drive. I've tried it on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 laptops. It should be like an external hard drive and recognized shouldn't it? But even though I see a green light on the adapter, Windows doesn't see the drive. Also I took the jumpers out of the hard drive, thinking that might have something to do with it and nothing changed.

Please help. Thanks

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I finally got the hardware (adapter) and connected the drives to my laptop, but now Windows doesn't see them. I wonder if they are inaccessible since they have been out of the pc and hanging around for a few years now! But thank you everyone for helping me get this far.