Info How can I connect router to hotspot without using an Ethernet during setup?

kanewolf

Titan
I need to connect a router to Xfinity hotspots during travel (without using Ethernet for setup)
I purchased a TP link Archer Ax50. I'm thinking I might have to return it if I can't figure this out. My job requires a hard wire connection, in order to access their VPN, to then access the programs on my laptop. I am hoping there's a way to connect the router to Xfinity hotspots without using an Ethernet cord; because wherever I end up staying, chances are, won't have an Ethernet connection in the rooms. I've placed many calls and keep getting "no" for an answer when I inquire about it. I chose this AX50 router for it's pricing & features for speed improvement, because I need all I can get, in order to have a good enough quality connection for receiving and placing calls 8+ hours a day. Even when I'm home and hard wired to my Xfi highest speed package (by a 50 ft Ethernet to a separate room), once I'm connected to the job's Vpn, my speed goes from 800 mbps to about 60-75 mbps! Please help! Any suggestions are welcome, even on suggested devices to purchase, that will get me the best speed. Thanks.
Asus firmware is pretty full featured. You would want to use wireless bridge mode. You should be able to test with your home WIFI or Xfinity Hotspot at you house.

Reactions: Melijo

Ralston18

Titan
Okay.

You travel. Your job requires hardwired connections. You have a router.

So you can connect your laptop(?) to some router and then expect to wirelessly connect that router to the hotel/motels network and thus the internet.

And get wired speeds.

This is a problem for your employer's IT folks to resolve.

Not here.

once I'm connected to the job's Vpn, my speed goes from 800 mbps to about 60-75 mbps!
  1. VPN done in software (and even in hardware) is not "free", it needs a lot of computational resources.
  2. Your empolyer' Internet package may have limited upload capacity.
  3. There are "cheap" travel USB-powered routers - Ethernet to your laptop, WiFi to "public" WiFi. And as mentioned above - this is your IT department issue to resolve, not yours.

Dec 4, 2021
Okay.

So you can connect your laptop(?) to some router and then expect to wirelessly connect that router to the hotel/motels network and thus the internet.

And get wired speeds.

Not here.
It's not my job
Okay.

And get wired speeds.

Not here.
It's not for my employer to solve, as my job doesn't require travel. I'm just trying to figure it out so that I can work while traveling to see family.

Dec 4, 2021
It's not my job

It's not for my employer to solve, as my job doesn't require travel. I'm just trying to figure it out so that I can work while traveling to see family.
In addition, I have Xfinity, so I'm trying to use my Xfinity account to access their Nationwide hotspots.

Dec 4, 2021
  1. VPN done in software (and even in hardware) is not "free", it needs a lot of computational resources.
  2. Your empolyer' Internet package may have limited upload capacity.
  3. There are "cheap" travel USB-powered routers - Ethernet to your laptop, WiFi to "public" WiFi. And as mentioned above - this is your IT department issue to resolve, not yours.
My concern is that I won't get great speed with cheap travel routers. And I've contacted I.T. @ my job, but they have bigger issues to deal with, and wouldn't get into figuring out the issues since the reduced speed is still enough for me to get the job done.