[SOLVED] How can I connect to the Raspberry Pi3 on Public WiFi via Notebook without HDMI (ssh)?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
So its a difficult story.
Basically I don't have an HDMI port on my notebook and am using a somewhat public wifi (id).
No RJ45 Port either, the notebook only has USB2-3, usb mini b and usb c (I suppose thunderbolt)? oh and sd card as well as audio.
I have an android phone with port type c if it helps?

What are my options to connect to the pi? I have bluetooth but I would like to exclude it if possible.

HOWEVER, I can use HDMI on a different device, though it's stationary so I can only use it to setup stuff via hdmi etc...

I followed an SSH over USB Tutorial but it doesn't work (issue is the pi3 has USB A ports so I have to use USB A pi to USB C notebook which doesn't seem work).

I was thinking maybe we can use the stationary device to configure the pi to create a wifi access point which allows anyone connected via WPA2 password to ssh it?
I am running out of ideas.

Last edited:
Solution
You can't connect the RPi to your wifi? Because you can't access the desktop or another reason?
I'm pretty sure you can connect to wifi by configuring a file like for ssh. Let me know if the above is the issue and we'll fix it!
The OP is using a public WIFI. That is what is preventing him from connecting the PI to WIFI.

kanewolf

Titan
So its a difficult story.
Basically I don't have an HDMI port on my notebook and am using a somewhat public wifi (id).
No RJ45 Port either, the notebook only has USB2-3, usb mini b and usb c (I suppose thunderbolt)? oh and sd card as well as audio.
I have an android phone with port type c if it helps?

What are my options to connect to the pi? I have bluetooth but I would like to exclude it if possible.

HOWEVER, I can use HDMI on a different device, though it's stationary so I can only use it to setup stuff via hdmi etc...

I followed an SSH over USB Tutorial but it doesn't work (issue is the pi3 has USB A ports so I have to use USB A pi to USB C notebook which doesn't seem work).

I was thinking maybe we can use the stationary device to configure the pi to create a wifi access point which allows anyone connected via WPA2 password to ssh it?
I am running out of ideas.
I am trying to understand what you are trying to do. Is this for an initial install? Day-to-day usage?

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Unless this device is monitor, or HDMI receiver, you can't use it witih RPi.
Irrelevant.
My recommendation would be to buy a USB to ethernet adapter. Then connect to the PI.
Or get a router that can use the "somewhat public wifi" as the internet source and feed the PI and your laptop from that.
I was thinking the same but weidly enough I can get BluetoothSerial-Terminal to work on android-pi.
Though I want to work on the notebook ,not the phone.

wilmerkluever

Honorable
Nov 30, 2017
I use ssh to connect to my Pi Zero daily. The steps I followed might be your solution:
1) Go into the Raspberry Pi's configuration settings, and enable the SSH service.
(If you are unable to do it on the Pi because you don't have the ability to connect it to a monitor, plug the sd card into another pc. A drive called "boot" should be visible. Create a blank file called "ssh" on the boot drive, with no file
extention.
  1. Make sure your notebook and Pi are on the same wifi.
  2. Restart the Raspberry Pi , and test the connection.
You should be able to connect to the pi via this command: 'ssh pi@--your Pi's IP address here--'
Let me know if there's something you need help with.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
I use ssh to connect to my Pi Zero daily. The steps I followed might be your solution:
1) Go into the Raspberry Pi's configuration settings, and enable the SSH service.
(If you are unable to do it on the Pi because you don't have the ability to connect it to a monitor, plug the sd card into another pc. A drive called "boot" should be visible. Create a blank file called "ssh" on the boot drive, with no file
extention.
  1. Make sure your notebook and Pi are on the same wifi.
  2. Restart the Raspberry Pi , and test the connection.
You should be able to connect to the pi via this command: 'ssh pi@--your Pi's IP address here--'
Let me know if there's something you need help with.
I can enable SSH.
But you missed my OP text because I can't enable WiFi.