How can I control my fan speed? (Speedfan and BIOS don't work)

Jan 9, 2018
Hello! I know you clicked on this to say 'Use Speedfan' or 'There is a setting in your BIOS' but in my case Speedfan does nothing and I searched BIOS at the Power section but there was no HW Monitor option. Do you know any other solutions becouse the sound of a 92mm fan running at 3000rpm is killing me.
Please don't say 'Wear your headphones'

You would have to start with writing what motherboard model you have, what fan model and where connected. Because if for example fan is connected straight to PSU via molex adapter, there is nothing you can do about it (without some hardware changes).

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I believe its a 3-pin fan? And from the pictures i've found online the motherboard has a 4-pin fan connector? Please confirm?

If the motherboard has a 4-pin it is possible to control the fan speed on a 3-pin fan, by getting a 4-pin to 4-pin pwn adapter (female to male). I have such an adapter running 3-pin fans in PWN (variable speed) via the BIOS settings. I would add that your motherboard has to support PWN fan control, but if it has a 4-pin i don't see why it shouldn't. Try the adapter.

Bungle11

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

My solution should work if the BIOS supports PWN control and the MB has a 4-pin header. Worked for me on my gigabyte aorus ax370-gaming k5. Had a couple of spare 3pin fans and a 4pin adapter to hand. I was too cheap to by new 4 pin fans. :). Barring this a fan controller should work. Adapters are cheaper, so no harm trying.