[SOLVED] How can I convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk without data loss? is it even possible?

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
Hi everybody,
I got an internal hard drive without an OS but it contains important data, im willing to install windows 7 on it which requires the disk to be basic (unfortunately this disk's type is dynamic) and i tried to convert it to basic using the diskpart utility (cmd) using the windows installation media, but it gives an error:

The disk isn't empty.

what to do? plz help, thanks

Solution
This is my cousin's laptop im trying to install windows on, and it currently has no OS, and the Hard Drive is internal. I only have access to BIOS settings and Windows Installation Media.
If you're trying to install an OS on it....any data on it that you wish to keep NEEDS to be copied elsewhere first.
It would be lost in the OS install anyway.

Connect it to some other system forst, copy any personal files off it.
Put it back in the laptop, boot from your OS install USB, and wipe/reformat it completely.
Delete all existing partitions and proceed on.

Bottom line...is there personal data on this drive you wish to keep?

USAFRet

Titan
Hi everybody,
I got an internal hard drive without an OS but it contains important data, im willing to install windows 7 on it which requires the disk to be basic (unfortunately this disk's type is dynamic) and i tried to convert it to basic using the diskpart utility (cmd) using the windows installation media, but it gives an error:

The disk isn't empty.

what to do? plz help, thanks
Copy the data elsewhere first, then copy it back.
You should be doing this anyway.

Reactions: Krotow

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
On some other system, copy to some other drive.

What is on this drive, and where did you get it?
This is my cousin's laptop im trying to install windows on, and it currently has no OS, and the Hard Drive is internal. I only have access to BIOS settings and Windows Installation Media.

USAFRet

Titan
If you're trying to install an OS on it....any data on it that you wish to keep NEEDS to be copied elsewhere first.
It would be lost in the OS install anyway.

Connect it to some other system forst, copy any personal files off it.
Put it back in the laptop, boot from your OS install USB, and wipe/reformat it completely.
Delete all existing partitions and proceed on.

Bottom line...is there personal data on this drive you wish to keep?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
im trying to install Windows 7 on an old HP laptop
btw, how can I connect the internal hdd of this laptop? i got my own laptop only and i dont really have any other tools :c
During the install, when it asks 'where'....select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions.
Delete ALL, and proceed on.

If for some reason you need to capture personal files (not applications) from this drive before this install, then you need some USB connection thing.
A toaster style dock works well.

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
During the install, when it asks 'where'....select Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions.
Delete ALL, and proceed on.

If for some reason you need to capture personal files (not applications) from this drive before this install, then you need some USB connection thing.
A toaster style dock works well.
it contains his personal files, pictures & videos mostly, i need help with:
  1. is there a way to copy the files in this laptop to an external hard drive?
  2. how to fomat it after capturing the files
  3. how to convert the disk from dynamic to basic so i can install the windows?

thanks

USAFRet

Titan
it contains his personal files, pictures & videos mostly, i need help with:
  1. is there a way to copy the files in this laptop to an external hard drive?
  2. how to fomat it after capturing the files
  3. how to convert the disk from dynamic to basic so i can install the windows?
thanks
  1. Does this laptop currently run? If so, that data can be copied to any other storage thing. USB connected drive, SD card, cloud, whatever.
  2. That happens in the context of the new OS install.
  3. See #2.

Why the fresh OS install?

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
  1. Does this laptop currently run? If so, that data can be copied to any other storage thing. USB connected drive, SD card, cloud, whatever.
  2. That happens in the context of the new OS install.
  3. See #2.

Why the fresh OS install?
1.this laptop doesn't run, i can only access the bios and the windows installation media (live boot from CD)
2. the os installation is because it doesnt have an os

alirwez

Commendable
Dec 26, 2020
well, my cousin has to say goodbye to his files i guess,
can you plz tell me how to format, then convert the disk from dynamic to basic, and then to GPT?

Do you have a usb drive? Download a linux image like linux mint and burn it onto the usb drive or a dvd. Boot the usb drive or dvd and use linux to examine the laptop's hdd. Determine the total amount of data which would be backed up to other places. Back up if possible and then go ahead with wiping hdd and installing W7.