[SOLVED] How can I disable Microsoft Edge?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
It's for my child's computer, we have parameters set on it, but the internet safety features don't seem to work on edge, on chrome, so is able to bypass our restrictions by using edge; the uninstall option is grayed out. How can I uninstall or at least disable it?

Solution
hi
go to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edgecore folder
here will be another folder with version number on it (mine is 91.0.864.48), open it and go to installer folder
run this command:
setup --uninstall --force-uninstall --system-level

then go to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edge\application\version number\installer

delete both edge/edgecore folders

If you want to try to remove it, you can try the options listed there.

Otherwise make a separate, Standard User account and restrict its access to Edge.

hi
go to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edgecore folder
here will be another folder with version number on it (mine is 91.0.864.48), open it and go to installer folder
run this command:

then go to c:\program files (x86)\microsoft\edge\application\version number\installer

delete both edge/edgecore folders

Last edited:
Solution

If you want to try to remove it, you can try the options listed there.

Otherwise make a separate, Standard User account and restrict its access to Edge.
edge switched to being desktop app..this shouldnt work anymore

WEll, you can try it yourself and let us know if that article is still valid or not.
ye i just looked at it
  • first tip no go, uninstall option is not available
  • changing default web browser cant be considered as uninstall tip right?
  • powershell tip is for older edge, mine version doesnt have any app in edge folder there (just 1.2MB folder content which is just garbage, not app)
  • next tip for renaming system app well thats same...no actual app there

USAFRet

Titan
it doesnt appear to be drastic as it used to be with internet explorer..i have it gone for a while now, eve microsoft system setting for edge repair/reinstall all says all green and no app in pc :p
Somewhere along in this conversation, someone will suggest some Registry editing foolishness.
Can easily break the OS.

A full drive backup is never a bad idea.

Reactions: DRagor
Unless that's a "i.m better with computers then my parent's" kid, I would just delete all shortcuts used to start Edge. That should be enough without the hassle with uninstalling it. Of course you'll probably need to repeat it after every Windows update ...

as far as edge internet safety goes, it should work here:
fig-4-2-1024x578.png

for some odd reason i cant find it when clickin through windows settings, but its searchable as "family options"

USAFRet

Titan
Unless that's a "i.m better with computers then my parent's" kid, I would just delete all shortcuts used to start Edge. That should be enough without the hassle with uninstalling it. Of course you'll probably need to repeat it after every Windows update ...
Right.
There a whole social aspect to this type of thing, along with the technical.

Age, expertise, use, etc, etc, etc....

Kid restrictions are just as much a social problem as a tech problem.