Question How can I disable Windows Update notifications?

mike2012

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2012
I understand Windows updates are necessary. But how Microsoft has implemented Windows updates are just annoying. For example, I'll just be doing work on the computer and an "We have an update for you" popup will just randomly popup.

How can I permanently disable any Windows Update notifications? I would like to be on my computer and not be bothered by Windows update popups.

I also have a second question though related to Windows Update. How can I stop automatic Windows Updates? I have every option related to automatic updates disabled and still almost every time I turn on my computer Windows will automatically update. I don't want Windows to automatically update everytime I turn on my PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
How can I permanently disable any Windows Update notifications? I would like to be on my computer and not be bothered by Windows update popups.
  1. settings/update & security/Windows Update
  2. Advanced Options
  3. scroll down to Windows Update Notifications & turn it off
Optional: Toggle off “restart when a restart is required”
You’ll find this under “Update options” with the description “Restart this device as soon as possible when a restart is required to install an update. Windows will display a notice before the restart”.

As for second, you can't. But win 10 only updates once a month on the 2nd Tuesday so could just think to check that week as then it won't interrupt you.

Last edited: