How can I dual boot with 2 harddrives?

cooldudekalia100

Prominent
Sep 23, 2017
Ok, so I am "renovating" my old pc since it has a very bad cpu, video card and not the best motherboard. It came with a 1.0TB harddrive which my dad downloaded windows 7 on, and has lots of files like photos, videos and documents. What I want to do is get a 250gb SSD, so that I can install windows 10 on it and only use it for games and school files. So my question is, How can I make it so when I startup my pc, It greets me with a message saying, "Which storage device do you want to boot off", and so when I wanna play games and do school stuff, I can boot off my SSD, and when my dad has to use his files he can boot them off the HDD?

Solution
just install windows 10 to the ssd (will probably show up as disk 1 (presuming the numbering starts at 0 and you have two drives(although it may not, i've never used the windows 10 install system))--it should be obvious which is which because of the size difference.

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-make-clean-install-of-windows-10
Steps 6 and 7 will be useful to you
pick the ssd from the list and make sure not to accidentally format the hdd.
then continue, when its installed and you reboot you will get a prompt to choose your OS or if you wait 30 or so seconds it will automatically boot to 10.

Reputable
Aug 20, 2015
just install windows 10 to the ssd (will probably show up as disk 1 (presuming the numbering starts at 0 and you have two drives(although it may not, i've never used the windows 10 install system))--it should be obvious which is which because of the size difference.

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-make-clean-install-of-windows-10
Steps 6 and 7 will be useful to you
pick the ssd from the list and make sure not to accidentally format the hdd.
then continue, when its installed and you reboot you will get a prompt to choose your OS or if you wait 30 or so seconds it will automatically boot to 10.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
MERGED QUESTION
Question from cooldudekalia100 : "How to boot of a specific harddrive?"

USAFRet

Titan
There are two ways to do this. It depends on exactly how you wish to choose which drive to boot into.

1. Choose in the BIOS boot menu:
Disconnect HDD
Install your OS on the SSD
At power up, interrupt the boot process and select which drive to boot from.

2. A menu, which defaults to one or the other.
Leave the HDD connected
Install on the SSD
This will merge the boot options onto the boot partition on the current HDD
At power up, you should be presented with a menu that looks like this:
qHG5Yod.jpg