How can I eliminate this file???

I have a very strange file located in:

c:/documents and setting/myname/local
setting/temp/

The file is: Perflib_Perfdata_6f8.dat

I can't seem to delete it. It says it is in use by another person or
program.

I tried to delete it via a DOS command but that won't work (same error).

I tried to do a Safe Boot, but then the program is not there!

Apparently, something during the regular boot must create and put the
program/file there.

I used AdAware and got rid of anything it came up with, but that file is
still there.

Any ideas?

Oh, I tried the freeware MoveOnBoot. It didn't work.

I did a google search and it appears to be a problem, but I couldn't find a
good solution as I'm a tad unsure on how to do a logon script for this one.

MB

MB_ wrote:
> I have a very strange file located in:
>
> c:/documents and setting/myname/local
> setting/temp/
>

> The file is: Perflib_Perfdata_6f8.dat
>

> I can't seem to delete it. It says it is in use by another person or
> program.
>

> I tried to delete it via a DOS command but that won't work (same
> error).
>

> I tried to do a Safe Boot, but then the program is not there!
>
> Apparently, something during the regular boot must create and put the
> program/file there.
>

> I used AdAware and got rid of anything it came up with, but that file
> is still there.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Oh, I tried the freeware MoveOnBoot. It didn't work.
>
> I did a google search and it appears to be a problem, but I couldn't
> find a good solution as I'm a tad unsure on how to do a logon script
> for this one.
> MB

These files are generated by the system monitor. They are supposed to
be remove at shutdown, but typically are not for whatever reason. You
cannot delete the current file. You can script the removal of orphaned
files: http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=401235

> I have a very strange file located in: <snip>
> I can't seem to delete it. It says it is in use by another person or
> program.

Someone pointed out a website with instructions for how to do this the
other day, but I can`t find it...

The gist of it was...

open a command window

end the windows gui, leaving the command window open

delete the file via the command window

run "explorer.exe" to get the gui back

That won't work in XP, of course.
"Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I have a very strange file located in: <snip>
>> I can't seem to delete it. It says it is in use by another person or
>> program.
>
> Someone pointed out a website with instructions for how to do this the
> other day, but I can`t find it...
>
> The gist of it was...
>
> open a command window
>
> end the windows gui, leaving the command window open
>
> delete the file via the command window
>
> run "explorer.exe" to get the gui back
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

> That won't work in XP, of course.

IIRC the site was aimed specifically _at_ winXP and unremovable files.

>> That won't work in XP, of course.
>
> IIRC the site was aimed specifically _at_ winXP and unremovable files.
>
> --
> Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
> --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

Can't imagine how it would work.

"Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message

| "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
| >> That won't work in XP, of course.
| >
| > IIRC the site was aimed specifically _at_ winXP and unremovable files.
| >
| > --
| > Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via
email
| > --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it
;-) ---

| Can't imagine how it would work.

Works fine.

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

That didn't work. However, I guess I won't worry about it. From my reading,
it is not a dangerous file or anything like that.

Mel
"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:nuECd.10$bB.5@fe1.columbus.rr.com...
> "Tom Scales" <tom@scalesfamily.com> wrote in message
> |
> | "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> | >
> | > IIRC the site was aimed specifically _at_ winXP and unremovable files.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via
> email
> | > --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it
> ;-) ---
> |

> | Can't imagine how it would work.
> |
> Works fine.
>
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm

> I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
> I was just trying to help.
> Please use your own best judgment before implementing any suggestions or
> advice herein.
> No warranty is expressed or implied.
> Your mileage may vary.
> See store for details. :)
>
> Remove shoes to E-mail.

The file is created by the System Monitor and is supposed to be there. Why
are you trying to delete it? If you delete it you are likely to cause
problems possibly crashing your computer. The computer is just going to
recreate it (AND will delete it when it's finished, as you've already
proven) the next time you boot up anyway so what's the point?

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>I have a very strange file located in:
>
> c:/documents and setting/myname/local
> setting/temp/
>

> The file is: Perflib_Perfdata_6f8.dat
>

> I can't seem to delete it. It says it is in use by another person or
> program.
>

> I tried to delete it via a DOS command but that won't work (same error).
>

> I tried to do a Safe Boot, but then the program is not there!
>
> Apparently, something during the regular boot must create and put the
> program/file there.
>

> I used AdAware and got rid of anything it came up with, but that file is
> still there.
>

> Any ideas?
>
> Oh, I tried the freeware MoveOnBoot. It didn't work.
>
> I did a google search and it appears to be a problem, but I couldn't find
> a good solution as I'm a tad unsure on how to do a logon script for this
> one.
>
> MB

JS

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 10:30:19 -0700, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

Re: Perflib

Make sure indexing services box is checked in Add Remove
WINDOWS programs and perfdata will disappear.
Don't know why? but it works.
js