[SOLVED] How can I find a virus that my antivirus program won’t detect?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
In Windows 10, my cursor moves around and opens files and closes tabs on my browser. It does it in airplane mode and moves around in the login screen. Avast does not detect it even in the boot scan. Malware bytes won’t find it in safe mode either. Also, reinstalling windows will not solve it since windows indicates that the battery is not at full capacity. I would like to put all files on my new laptop, but not before solving this issue. Since windows updates keep deleting files and driver updating files, I do not want to invest in the older system. Can anyone help me?

Solution
OOPS! I meant to say Windows defender.
Windows defender comes with windows.
Likely you are running it unless you replaced it with some other anti virus.
Some time back, defender detected more known viruses than any other product out there.
Other antivirus programs try to detect "in the wild" viruses.
Those are viruses that have not been identified.
Such apps are more resource heavy.

In addition, there is a Microsoft security security scanner you might try:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...otection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
i don't know. i just had a windows update, and kept trying to get help after many months of trying to figure out how to repair it. One person kept saying to use a bootable media to repair windows, another person said make a disc image, and do the other thing too. Then it got repaired, then it appeared i was being hacked, and then i found some viruses, then now it is the way it is. So I am not sure what to do besides what people say, and nothing is guaranteed right now.

it takes 4-5 minutes to delete your current potnetially infected partitions, and install Win10 fresh /'good as new' to about any SSD these days...plus another several minutes of installing assorted driver packages pertaining to your mainboard or laptop's chipset, plus GPU (if applicable), and then reinstalling your apps.

Or, you can fight for days on trying to figure out what it is you are currently fighting...

Last edited:

Joshuacm

Prominent
Aug 1, 2021
What is SSD? Is it solid state drive? As I don't have that on the old system. How would I install over the old Windows? I know that the new updates deleted a lot of driver updating files, and on the HP website, it does not have everything anymore. Basically, the point would be to remove the virus, then put everything onto the new computer, instead of putting it back on the old one, regardless if Windows was reinstalled or not. I think that if Windows were reinstalled, it would need to be updated, and I would want to know that it would not make it more incompatible and delete more system files and drivers again.

USAFRet

Titan
What is SSD? Is it solid state drive? As I don't have that on the old system. How would I install over the old Windows? I know that the new updates deleted a lot of driver updating files, and on the HP website, it does not have everything anymore. Basically, the point would be to remove the virus, then put everything onto the new computer, instead of putting it back on the old one, regardless if Windows was reinstalled or not. I think that if Windows were reinstalled, it would need to be updated, and I would want to know that it would not make it more incompatible and delete more system files and drivers again.
A fresh OS install will need to get whatever updates are still outstanding from Microsoft.
Also, you'll need to install all the drivers for your particular hardware.

A reinstall of the same OS will not make anything "incompatible".

SSD or HDD, irrelevant except in terms of speed.