How can I find my Windows version if Windows won't start?

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016
Real quick question - I'm trying to do a fresh install of Windows 10 for a laptop that I inherited that apparently had a corrupt HDD and Windows couldn't fix it by using a restore point or refresh.

I am going through the process, but I don't know if it originally had Windows 10 Pro or Home installed. Is there any way I can find that out?

The laptop has a sticker for Windows 7 Home premium, but was later upgraded to 10, so the sticker is no help. The person who owned the laptop unfortunately passed away, so I don't have anyone to ask. Is there a way I can find out in command prompt or something?

I tried using "wmic os get caption" but it just shows "Caption" and nothing else.

Using "ver" shows "Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.15063]. No mention of home or pro.

I know it's either Home or Pro, x64-bit... if there is no way to find out, then should I just install one and see if it activates - and if not, then just fresh install with the other?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you can try and create the win10 installer from the site below. depending on the digital license you have with your laptop, the win10 installer will decide for you. if you do have a win10 pro license, you will see tons of options to allow you to downgrade to win10 home as well. just prepare a usb drive (at least 8GB) or write into a DVD with the ISO file.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

as soon as you have it, boot it to your USB UEFI/DVD.

basically, you dont have to worry about what type you have. the digital license is still activated with teh laptop there. the installer will decide for you.

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016

I have an installation media USB drive already that I made back when Windows 10 first released...but it never occurred to me that they might have improved upon it! The one I have doesn't automatically determine the version, but maybe they've updated it? I'll give it a try!

Update: ok, I tried it. Yes, the current media installation has changed from what I had. But there is no option to automatically select the version, and instead, there are actually MORE versions to choose from:

Windows 10 S
Windows 10 S N
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Home N
Windows 10 Home Single Language
And more....

So should I just try the Home version (what is the N version anyway? I'm sure that's not the option for me, I'm just curious)? And if it doesn't allow me to activate, then just fresh install Pro and try again?

Lv 88 Mog

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2016

Nice to know! If all else fails, I'll give it a try. If I install Home and it ends up being Pro, then what happens?