Question How can I find out why my computer suddenly powered off ?

Blrp

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
Like, where's the... report or... log or something? (...and why do I have to go looking for it?)

It wasn't a shutdown, just went from on to off in an instant. I assume something's overheating. It sometimes happens while gaming (and will then happen again after a few min if I start it up and keep gaming).

Obviously when there's a critical failure like that and some component of my hardware decides "that's enough, time to cut the power", it'd leave some kind of record of the decision... right? Please? They couldn't possibly be so dumb... but then again, they would show it to me instead of leaving me wondering and without any kind of message about what happened. Sigh...

Sorry about the rant. What do I do? Idk what information I should post but my motherboard is P8Z77-V, processor Intel Core i5 3570K, gpu Radeon HD 7950. Windows 10.

Blrp

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2014
brand and model of the psu?
check cpu/gpu temp during the game?
Newton Power Ltd. N1000P-00

I can't reliably make it power off. Is there a better way than to constantly look at the temps while gaming and hope I remember what I saw right before it happens? Like a program which continually saves the temperature over time to a log?

Random shut off are more often a power problem or motherboard. Overheating will normally show major performance issues as the system throttles to prevent overheating, a switch off with no warning would mean its overheating in an instant. Without swapping out the psu or motherboard and testing with a known work alternative there is no way to be sure what is causing an instant power off. Do you have a spare psu you can try or borrow from a friend?

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran