[SOLVED] How can I fit my RX 6800 into my computer case while having it connect properly?

Jun 2, 2021
So I've had this Sapphire Radeon RX 6800 for at least a few months now I think and intially I did manage to get it into the system but because it wasn't connected properly my pc would randomly crash sometimes. That problem has cleared up since I removed the GPU but now I have what is essentially an expensive brick sitting on my shelf and I'd really like to get it to work. I considered using riser cables as a workaround but I don't want to vertically mount my GPU as I want two GPU's in my system. One for my host operating system which is Linux and the other for my Windows VM. Any idea how I can get this GPU in properly while still being able to use two GPU's or do I just need to buy a new case at this point? Currently I can plug it in while not having it screwed in properly or screw it in without being to connect it properly. It's one or the other. I got some pictures to better illustrate the problem I'm having.

20210422_052208.jpg
20210422_051915.jpg
20210422_052236.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated as I'm kind of stumped as to what to do besides buy another case.

Solution
Could be something underneath the 6800 is interfering; either between the GPU and the motherboard, or around where the PCIe bracket mounts to the case. Sometimes it takes a good bit of wiggling to get the PCIe brackets to slot in properly. Note that I'm talking about both the slots towards the back and towards the right side of the case.

Had issues with the latter mainly, motherboard was apparently moved tad too close towards the rear of the case that I can't slot in the mounts properly. Or that one time my RX 580 interfered with SATA connectors that requires me to get angled SATA cables just so the cables can fit in without jutting out and interfering with the GPU.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Could be something underneath the 6800 is interfering; either between the GPU and the motherboard, or around where the PCIe bracket mounts to the case. Sometimes it takes a good bit of wiggling to get the PCIe brackets to slot in properly. Note that I'm talking about both the slots towards the back and towards the right side of the case.

Had issues with the latter mainly, motherboard was apparently moved tad too close towards the rear of the case that I can't slot in the mounts properly. Or that one time my RX 580 interfered with SATA connectors that requires me to get angled SATA cables just so the cables can fit in without jutting out and interfering with the GPU.

Solution

TripleYoThreat

Commendable
Apr 6, 2021
I dont really understand what the issue is.
Is it not fitting into the slot?
You are trying to run 2 gpus in that case?

Yeah, definitely hard to see the issue brutha.
If it's not screwing in while connecting, seems like a cheaper case that is slightly out of alignment

go for a new case and vamp up the aesthetic of your build at the same time

Reactions: Bassman999

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
If there is a component sticking up from the motherboard that is interfering, there isn't going to be anything that you can do. A new case will not correct that problem. You may have to give up on the idea of two video cards and put the 6800 in the other slot. Do not try to force the video card down into the slot if there is interference from a component on the motherboard. You could break off whatever it is that is sticking up and cause your motherboard to fail. Is it resting on the shroud of that cooling fan on the motherboard? If it's resting directly on top of that, you're not going to be able to push that videocard down any further.

Last edited: