Question How can i fix asustek easy flash utility system error

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 19, 2019
Yesterday i had a message that my computer would update i choose the option not now
When i went to sleep and turner my laptop of i choose shut down and update and now i have a bleu screen iT says asustek easy flash utility
Flash type : winbond 25x/q series
Check system error
Please plug A-C power and then prees any key to flash bios 0%
What do i neef to do

catmusicfreak

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
Hi, I had a similar issue. I don't have time to edit everything so this is my full correspondence. Bottom line, below ASUS told me not to do anything.

Hi,

I'm having problems with my BIOS. My laptop wanted to do a Windows Update. I chose shut down and update. Hours later I started up my PC and when I returned I had a blue screen called the ASUSTEK Easy Flash Utility.

I made sure the adapter was plugged in and when I pressed any key it did nothing so I did a hard shut down. I restarted it and on the right hand side of the task bar it quickly flashed that I needed to update firmware or something. It got to the desktop fine. I tried to go on the internet but now I had internet problems. I left the PC alone the rest of the night and noticed in the AM it had shut down on it's own (I'm not sure if it was low on power or what). When I got home later that day it started fine and I haven't had the blue screen since.

I would like to add, the last Windows Update was June 12th so nothing was updated the other day.

My laptop is ASUS F556UA-EH71
The BIOS version I have right now is American Megatrends X556UAM.318, 2019-04-19. The newest update
I believe is at this link https://www.asus.com/supportonly/F556UA/HelpDesk_BIOS/

So my questions are:
  1. When I update, do I just choose the first update in the list as the 2nd one is the same date as the first one (2019-06-06)
  2. If you look at the list of updates, the one in Apr. was number 316 but the current one installed on my system is 318 on 2019-04-19. Also the first update in the list is 318 but in June. Everything is OK here? Just doesn't seem to match up to me.
  3. I've read you really shouldn't update the BIOS unless you need to. If Windows is asking me to I should shouldn't I? Just double checking as I'm nervous about it though the instructions on youtube don't seem hard to do).
Thanks.

I was told if it's working fine just leave it.

My next reply was:

I don't think Windows Update was trying to do a BIOS update (like you I don't think WU does that either). For whatever reason I got the blue screen right after doing an Update so I don't know if it was a coincidence or if WU triggered it some how. (I'm a newbie so don't know if that would be possible or not).

Since my PC was working fine I most likely wasn't going to update the BIOS or I would have had a tech do it if need be. I was just wanting info in case I decided to tackle it (youtube vids seemed simple enough) but I really didn't want to as I know it can be a disaster if something goes wrong.

This afternoon I checked for updates. The one that didn't update last week updated today. It was for Windows version 1809 for x64-based systems (KB4465065).

=======> I talked to ASUS and the tech (Damion F.) said my laptop BIOS was up to date even though the current BIOS I have is from April and I thought the newest update is from June but I won't argue with him as he seemed to know what he was talking about. All I know is the April and June updates are the same version number so I will leave it.

This is what the tech said (in case anyone else has the same issue)
"We only recommend a bios update only if the notebook is experiencing the issue the bios update was release for."

"The issue mentioned would not be of the BIOS, as the BIOS would not stop the Windows updates."

Instead he suggested I do this:

1. Press and hold the Windows Key and tap on the letter X
  2. Select Command Prompt (Admin) (OR) WINDOWS POWER SHELL
  3. Type sfc /scannow
After completing the steps above do the following:
Step 1. Please turn off the notebook
Step 2. Remove the charger from the notebook.
Step 3. Press and hold down on the power button for 5-6 seconds
Step 4. Reconnect the charger
Step 5. Press the power button to power on and immediately after releasing the power button tap on F2 for BIOS screen
Step 6. Please press F9 to load default and then select yes and then press F10 to save and exit <=======

I'm just glad my laptop is functioning fine and I don't have to update it.

Thanks.

-Hope this helps.

Last edited:

catmusicfreak

Commendable
Jun 26, 2019
The info on my screen said:

Flash Type : Winbond 25x/Q Series

Update Platform
Platform : Unknown
Version : Unknown
Build Date : Unknown
Build Time : Unknown

Check System Error!

PLEASE PLUG AC POWER THEN PRESS ANY KEY TO FLASH BIOS
0%

(I think I had a lock on the right top corner as well).

Jul 20, 2019
Hello!

Maybe be you have already a solution, but its doesnt matter.

You must already push the Escape-Key. Then you are out of the BIOS.
I had have the same problem today.

Status
Not open for further replies.