[SOLVED] How can I fix this partition problem?

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Brand new build with fresh Win10 install on a new Gigabyte Aorus NVMe 1tb Gen4 M.2 SSD. During the OS install I got the option to create a partition for Windows to install on, so I created a 100gb partition for it (and other programs). However now that it's up and running (no files added yet), This PC is showing me only one storage drive and it says "38.0gb free of 97 .0gb". I made sure to double check before making my selection and I'm pretty sure I chose the 97gb for the OS install, but I could be wrong.

Can I fix this without having to wipe and retry? If not, what exactly was my mistake? So I don't repeat it.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
So all is good and as expected?

Well I found where the missing storage space was and got it allocated as my Internal Storage, so that solved that question. However I am seeing my other mistake, I gave it too small of a partition cause now there is only 38gigs for the download folder, temp files, and all the other files that usually get stored in this area that tend to build up a bit quick. So I'm thinking a format may be my only option.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Yes, 100GB is TooSmall.
You will quickly run into space issues.

If this is brand new, I'd just start over, using the entire 1TB.

Just found out that starting over and deleting everything does not include deleting the partition. Hopefully third time is the charm. Do I need to format the drive before trying again? Or how do I get rid of the partition? Is it best to do this through the F2 menu during startup?

I see I can't just delete the partition in Disk Management

USAFRet

Titan
Just found out that starting over and deleting everything does not include deleting the partition. Hopefully third time is the charm. Do I need to format the drive before trying again? Or how do I get rid of the partition? Is it best to do this through the F2 menu during startup?

I see I can't just delete the partition in Disk Management
Right.
You can't delete the running Windows or System Reserved partition within the running WIndows instance.

Here, to start over completely:

Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting ALL the existing partitions, and continuing with a single large space.

Reactions: Gymjunkie

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Right.
You can't delete the running Windows or System Reserved partition within the running WIndows instance.

Here, to start over completely:

Step 6 & 7 speak to deleting ALL the existing partitions, and continuing with a single large space.

Thank you for the link. After running into several other problems and mistakes (like a partition randomly being created after deleting them all and the partition type changing so I couldn't install anything...etc etc) I finally got it taken care of with Local Disc C now having 869GB free.

Now for the fun of reinstalling everything again lol.

Anyway, thanks again for the assistance!