Question How can I fix this?

Apr 2, 2020
I recently bought a new gaming laptop. Dell G3 1590 and I started it this morning and started having performance issues. I found out that it couldn't detect the nvidia GTX 1050 gpu and was running on integrated graphics. Originally the grpahics card showed up in the Device Manager uder hidden but displayed error 45, that it wasn't connected. I was unable to update the drivers because it couldn't find the hardware. I followed some steps the told me to use DDU to wipe the data and reinstall it, but after that the graphics card disappeared from Device Manager completely. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the graphics card has shown up as an unknown device. I'm not sure how to proceed. I've tried updating the BIOS, installing old drivers and so on. Nothing seems to work.

I recently bought a new gaming laptop. Dell G3 1590 and I started it this morning and started having performance issues. I found out that it couldn't detect the nvidia GTX 1050 gpu and was running on integrated graphics. Originally the grpahics card showed up in the Device Manager uder hidden but displayed error 45, that it wasn't connected. I was unable to update the drivers because it couldn't find the hardware. I followed some steps the told me to use DDU to wipe the data and reinstall it, but after that the graphics card disappeared from Device Manager completely. I did a clean install of Windows 10 and the graphics card has shown up as an unknown device. I'm not sure how to proceed. I've tried updating the BIOS, installing old drivers and so on. Nothing seems to work.

I have had some experience with Dell laptops - the standard advice for graphics cards isn't applicable here.

Dell modify the graphics cards in their machines and are not compatible with the official drivers from nVidia. You need to go to the Dell website and download and install the graphics driver they provide for your machine. You must also use the Dell supplied driver for the Intel Integrated gpu to ensure the system will work correctly and switch between the two cards. If you have performed a clean install of Windows 10, the Windows installer will have likely installed a default Intel gpu driver which won't play nicely switching between cards with the Geforce card.

Apr 2, 2020
I have had some experience with Dell laptops - the standard advice for graphics cards isn't applicable here.

Dell modify the graphics cards in their machines and are not compatible with the official drivers from nVidia. You need to go to the Dell website and download and install the graphics driver they provide for your machine. You must also use the Dell supplied driver for the Intel Integrated gpu to ensure the system will work correctly and switch between the two cards. If you have performed a clean install of Windows 10, the Windows installer will have likely installed a default Intel gpu driver which won't play nicely switching between cards with the Geforce card.

Thanks for a reply. I downloaded the drivers from the Dell website for my laptop but when I run the ones for the nvidia card I get an error that they card detect the hardware.