Question How can I get better audio for my new headphones?

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Goodmorning, I just switched my headphones from the "Sennhieser PC373d" to "Sennhieser PC37x".

From what I can tell/ read online, both headphones are pretty much similar, with the main difference being that the 'PC373d' uses a built in sound card in the wire, while my new 'PC37x' just have the regular twinned 3.5mm connections .
I have had my old headset for possible 10 years, so I have never used the headphone/mic jack in a very long time. This is leading up to my current problem:
When I plugged in my new headset, the audio is way worse than my old headset, and i believe its user error not the headphones itself. Since I have used the built in sound card dongle, I may or may not have addition software that may improve the audio quality...

(For example, as a kid I do remember my audio sounding like crap unless i had the software "Realtek" launched.)

Its been way too long, and since i have not used jacks in a long time, im not familar with (if any) software im supposed to be using. I would appreciate any help.

TLDR: Im switching from 10 years of a USB sound dongle headset, a very similar headset that instead uses 3.5mm jacks. My audio sounds horrible, and im not sure if theres any software/drivers I may need

Windows 10 pro 64bit
RTX 2080 Super
Ryzen 9 3900x
32GB ram
MOBO: TUF gaming X570 plus (Non wifi edition)

Last edited:

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
I know many would disagree with me, but I find motherboard audio quite awful. I would say get a USB DAC/headphone amplifier. That's what I did and have been satisfied.
So i just realized what my problem is. My old headphones comes with a wire that has a built in "Dolby7.1 Surround sound dongle" this is what is making the audio good. Its turning the stereo headset into having 7.1 emulation i guess?
Both my new and old headset are similar, besides the fact that one came with jacks, the other with the dongle. However, the wires are detachable... which means I can just plug in the dolby dongle into my new headset, and the audio is perfect!
The thing is tho, that the wire is broken in such a way that it doesnt pick up the microphone, which is why i replaced my headphones since they dont make the dongle/headphones anymore. What im looking for is some kind of software or perhaps another dongle that can similarly give my headphones that 7.1 HD surround sound. would you happen to know anything like that?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What im looking for is some kind of software or perhaps another dongle that can similarly give my headphones that 7.1 HD surround sound. would you happen to know anything like that?
Yes. Windows. Your motherboard can also have audio software, if you have Realtek Audio chipset, that'll be the software. If you have Intel or Renasas, you'll have something different.

But either way, there is audio control built into windows.

Personally, I prefer music in Stereo, not surround, especially with earphones as the sound by nature of electronic manipulation gets muddy.

Sound dongle drivers etc
https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/support/downloads

Klaz49

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
Yes. Windows. Your motherboard can also have audio software, if you have Realtek Audio chipset, that'll be the software. If you have Intel or Renasas, you'll have something different.

But either way, there is audio control built into windows.

Personally, I prefer music in Stereo, not surround, especially with earphones as the sound by nature of electronic manipulation gets muddy.

Sound dongle drivers etc
https://www.eposaudio.com/en/us/gaming/support/downloads
I downloaded realtek, but theres nothing on there that says anything about 7.1 surround sound simulation. The one i downloaded was from my motherboards website, which says last updated in 2020, but when i visit realtek website, the downloads there say 2019 was last update so idk.

I downloaded realtek, but theres nothing on there that says anything about 7.1 surround sound simulation. The one i downloaded was from my motherboards website, which says last updated in 2020, but when i visit realtek website, the downloads there say 2019 was last update so idk.
You can try Windows Spatial sound or try Dolby Atmos for games that support it. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10-ca2700a0-6519-448d-5434-56f499d59c96

Personally though I find stereo better than virtual surround sound.

Reactions: Corwin65
If you want surround sound in your headphones, I'd argue you should be using something that provides binaural mixing. Windows Spatial Audio and Dolby Atmos for Headphones can provide this, and Windows Spatial Audio can be enabled in Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound, right click on the output that your headphones are connected to and select properties, then go to the Spatial tab and select "Windows Sonic for Headphones"

So i just realized what my problem is. My old headphones comes with a wire that has a built in "Dolby7.1 Surround sound dongle" this is what is making the audio good. Its turning the stereo headset into having 7.1 emulation i guess?
Both my new and old headset are similar, besides the fact that one came with jacks, the other with the dongle. However, the wires are detachable... which means I can just plug in the dolby dongle into my new headset, and the audio is perfect!
The thing is tho, that the wire is broken in such a way that it doesnt pick up the microphone, which is why i replaced my headphones since they dont make the dongle/headphones anymore. What im looking for is some kind of software or perhaps another dongle that can similarly give my headphones that 7.1 HD surround sound. would you happen to know anything like that?

You are probably confusing "sounding good" vs what you are used to hearing. Both setups are very likely producing good and accurate sound but you are used to hearing it with the audio enhancers on over just the stereo so it sounds different to you.

Windows has audio enhancers on you can play with in the audio settings build in, it's called Windows Sonic for headphones.