Question how can i get my graphics card working without external power?

Jul 13, 2023
hey everyone,

I recently acquired a graphics card (MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS OCV1) for my OEM prebuilt Lenovo AMD PC. I was under the impression that this GPU could run without supplementary power, as on the Amazon page it says only 70 Watts, and my PCiE 4.0 Motherboard is supposed to be able to handle up to 75 Watts through the PCiE slot alone, any idea how to make my PC recognise it? New to this kind of thing with computers, all help is greatly appreciated. I have tried installing the drivers with safe mode on, tried just about everything I could find online, to no success, unfortunately. The drivers won't even recognise that the GPU is plugged into the PC, does this mean that I need external power?

heres some of the specs incase it is required:

NAME: Lenovo Ideacentre 5 14ACN6
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
iGPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8 (4000/5000)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz (Single)
PSU: 260W

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
hey everyone,

I recently acquired a graphics card (MSI GeForce GTX 1650 D6 VENTUS XS OCV1) for my OEM prebuilt Lenovo AMD PC. I was under the impression that this GPU could run without supplementary power, as on the Amazon page it says only 70 Watts, and my PCiE 4.0 Motherboard is supposed to be able to handle up to 75 Watts through the PCiE slot alone, any idea how to make my PC recognise it? New to this kind of thing with computers, all help is greatly appreciated. I have tried installing the drivers with safe mode on, tried just about everything I could find online, to no success, unfortunately. The drivers won't even recognise that the GPU is plugged into the PC, does this mean that I need external power?

heres some of the specs incase it is required:

NAME: Lenovo Ideacentre 5 14ACN6
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
iGPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8 (4000/5000)
RAM: 8GB DDR4 3200Mhz (Single)
PSU: 260W
You need a 6 pin power connector for the card, a bunch of the priority boards like you have can't deliver 75 watts to the PCI-E lane.

If you have a Molex you could try a Molex to PIC-E adapter but not what I would do.

Your probably in the 150 / 180 watt area without the video card.

Last edited:
You need a 6 pin power connector for the card, a bunch of the priority boards like you have can't deliver 75 watts to the PCI-E lane.

If you have a Molex you could try a Molex to PIC-E adapter but not what I would do.

Your probably in the 150 / 180 watt area without the video card.
As per spec, that PCIE lane has to be able to deliver 75 watts, no if ands or buts, unless its some sort of exotic thing which his in not, the GPU wouldn't even work if the lane isn't providing enough power, it has to provide it for standard equipment like a GPU. The molex to pin should honestly be fine as the card will get most of its power threw the lane, that card happens to need a little bit more than 75 watts due to its Overclocking features, some OC models of the 1650 can use up to 90 watts.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
As per spec, that PCIE lane has to be able to deliver 75 watts, no if ands or buts, unless its some sort of exotic thing which his in not, the GPU wouldn't even work if the lane isn't providing enough power, it has to provide it for standard equipment like a GPU. The molex to pin should honestly be fine as the card will get most of its power threw the lane, that card happens to need a little bit more than 75 watts due to its Overclocking features, some OC models of the 1650 can use up to 90 watts.
Might put out 75 watts to the PCI-E (still that must come from the PSU) and might not I have seen some OEM's that don't, and your not going to see any regulars on this site recommend using a adapter.

If a card has a 6 pin connector, it is there because it is needed.
Looks like your card has some sort of factory overclock which requires mote than stock power.
You might be ok with a more basic GTX1650 version that does not need aux 6 pin power.