[SOLVED] How can I get the Dell Optiplex 740 desktop to recognize the stock video card?

mugs001

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Some time ago the stock video card in my Dell Optiplex 740 went bad. I ended up letting the system use the built-in NVIDIA 6150 GeForce LE.

Then, I recently ordered a replacement stock card to go back into the PC-I slot. That card is the Dell ATI Radeon X1300 . I installed it and used the VGA cord and DVI monitor cord adapter to plug the card in (from monitor to back of PC).

The monitor didn't come up so I restarted the PC with the VGA to VGA cord that I had been using with the onboard NVIDIA card.

When I go to Device Manager/Display Adapters it only shows the NVIDIA 6150 GeForce LE.

When I go into Bios setup the setting is set to "Auto" (as I had had it). I also opened the unit back up and re-installed the card to make sure it was really seated properly.

Still does not recognize the card and not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

PS: It's running Windows 7 with 8 gigs of RAM.

Thanks!

*Edit: When I go into Setup/System/PCI Info it shows that all three slots are "not populated". I guess it's possible that the card is bad and/or still not seated?

Last edited:
Solution
Might be it's not the cards that are bad but the PCIe slot itself. In that case the original card that you thought was bad may still be good too.

mugs001

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
*Note: Also reset the CMOS and tried a fourth time to re-seat the card but to no effect.
* Update: In conclusion I guess, I've tried everything I could find to try to figure this out.

1. Many card re-seats
  2. Bios reset to default
  3. Bios toggle between Auto and Onboard card and back again
  4. Clean card contacts and slot contacts
  5. Reinstall of card drivers

...Can't see anything else so it may be as BFG-9000 suggested; that the slot is bad. Then also, the card might be bad.

A third possibility is that the card (even though it is stock) should have be bought from Dell (something I had read about only Dell's card work). This card was NOS bought from a third party vendor.