How can I go from Amd to Intel?

zeph2234

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017
Ok, so I have recently bought a Intel 1151 socket motherboard and from my other computer have brought an i7 6700 (3.5ghz base can go up to 4ghz). The issue I am thinking about is how I am going to reset windows. Is there a possible way I can download two Operation systems and delete the old one resulting in the old motherboard drivers being deleted? Or will I have to do something else, I only have one hard drive and I do have the Windows 7 installation disc with me! (I DO NOT WANT TO KEEP ANY FILES I WANT TO COMPLETELY WIPE THE COMPUTER.)

Ethanh100

Honorable
You can try swapping out the motherboard and cpu and try to boot windows. Sometimes it will boot and just have to set up some drivers while booting and other times it just wont work at all. If it works you can remove the old drivers (not really a big deal if you miss some), and install the new ones. If you cannot boot, you are going to have to put in the installation disk, format the drive, and re-install windows, so I would recommend backing up anything important before you do anything. Remember, if you have an OEM license of windows, changing the motherboard will void the product key and you would need to buy a new license.

zeph2234

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

Many people tell me not to ever do this as it can apparently cause harm to your components. I'm not fully sure doing this would give me a peace of mind...

Doing that won't harm your components, but you may wind up having some weird performance issues if you wind up running into some driver conflicts. Moving from AMD to Intel will make a Windows reinstall more likely as the platforms are pretty different and such conflicts are more likely to come up.

ShadyHamster

Distinguished
There's no harm to the components, generally doing a complete platform swap will usually end with blue screen while trying to boot into windows, sometimes it can work but most times it won't.
Windows 10 handles platform swaps a lot better.

+1 just swap the mobo and try to boot, worse, you will get BSOD or black screen : then you need to reinstall.
You can backup your data before hand to facilitate the transfer (and be sure you don't lose anything.

To find out what your windows version is : press windows key + pause and in the first portion you will see windows 10 or windows 10 pro.
You want to install windows 10 home or pro 64 bit version

Do you have the windows key, if not download productkey and save the key(will also tell you what version windows you have.)

Also, create the recovery media and if you troubleshoot the computer, you can choose to reinstall windows and keep your data but you will loose your programs (need to reinstall them)

Good luck

zeph2234

Prominent
Sep 2, 2017

That's why I originally wanted to just reinstall windows so i would not have any issues. When I updated from my 6300 to my 8350 everything feels weird, (I know they're the same chipset and I should not have to uninstall anything but it still feels weird.) So I just want to know how to uninstall windows and reinstall it. I don't have a second drive or else this would be so easy!