How can I improve the range of my wireless router

inhand

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
My network is set up with a Linksys WRVS4400N wireless N gigabit router, and a Linksys gigabit 8 port switch(a) in one room. I have a PC, a Mac, a HP network printer, and the 8 port switch (a), wired to the router. There are three NAS storage drives, a Linksys 8 port gigabit switch (b), and a Linksys 5 port gigabit switch wired the 8 port gigabit switch (a). The 8 port and 5 port switches are in different rooms. The 8 port switch (b) has a DirecTV receiver, Replay TV recorder, a Sony PlayStation, and a Mac mini wired into it. The 5 port switch has a DIRECTV, a Wii game console, and a Mac mini wired into it. Everything works; all computers and game consoles have access to the net. The computers all have access to each other, the N.A.S. storage, and the printer.
My only problem is the wireless range is very poor. Is there any way to improve the router’s range? I still have the Linksys WRT54 wireless router. Can that be wired to one of the switches and configured so that I can improve the wireless coverage? If so how? If not what other options do I have?
Thank you

John

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
One of the problems of wireless net is obstacle (thick walls, etc.) I have one of these problems so what I did was I connect another wireless router, its called bridge.
Adding a second wireless router to a network can greatly increase the range and signal strength of the overall network. Bridging routers can also join two or more computers to a Local Area Network (LAN), allowing them to communicate with one another. The second router is a "bridge" that is there to extend the range of the primary router.
Here's is how:
Determine the coverage area. When using two or more routers, the coverage area should be divided, and each router should be placed in a location central to each subdivision. If you're adding a wireless router to an existing network, this might mean moving the first router.
Decide which router is the primary router. The primary router is connected to the Internet, a wired LAN or other networks. It should be the one closest to the wired network connections or the one with the best line of sight to another wireless network. Also, the primary router should be a high-end router, allowing for larger state tables and more users.
Buy an after-market antenna, as the antennas that come with most routers don't have very good range. Getting quality omni-directional antennas can boost the range and signal strength of each of the routers, which, in turn, will reduce the overall cost by allowing fewer routers to cover more area.
Deploy the primary router carefully. This router is the most important and requires the most setup time and options. Set the Service Set Identifier (SSID) and Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) key, configure the Internet connection and test the router with some clients (computers). Once you get the primary router deployed, deploying the other routers should be easy.
Deploy the secondary routers, which should be configured to work in "bridging mode." Secondary routers should be deployed around the perimeter of a large area or at "hot spots" where placed users will gather--for example, at a park bench or table.

inhand

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Thank you for the response,

My second router is a Linksys WRT54GS. I have gone through all the screens and I can’t find anything about bridging. How do I set a WRT54GS to “bridging mode”?

inhand

TRENDING THREADS