How can I increase my FTP upload speed on a single instance when in multiple instances I'm fast

alexgutierrez1964a

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
Here is my problem I have 20 Megabit/s upload speed confirmed on speedtest.net, and when I use my ftp on several settings I can only upload at 450 kilobytes /s or 3.6 Mbits,/s I get around that limitation by opening several instances of FTP program and each instance uploads at 3.6 mbits but I dont like to do that, what hack can I use to use up all of my upload speed that is 20Mbits on a single FTP instance

I have Flash FTP, Filezilla
cute FTP that is even worst I can upload only at 70 KB/s

Thanks

I suspect something is limiting the tcp window size. This is a complex topic but it is the amount of data that is allowed to be in transit without being acknowledged by the remote end. The higher the latency the less data you can transmit with the same window size.

Used to be you could only transfer 65kbytes so you many times would be limited to a couple mbits/sec on even a 40ms latency connection.

I would run wireshark on the pc and watch a file transfer. You want to see how large the window size is at first and then see if the server increases it over time. Many times this is a setting in either the OS or the FTP server. It is the server that controls this the setting on your client make little difference.....unless it for some reason does not send at the maximum rate.

You should see your machine send burst of packets that equal the window size proposed by the server.

Now it could be something with the FTP itself. You will see no issues with the window size but you will see large delays getting a ack back for the data you sent if it is a client.

Wireshark takes some practice to really use it well but it does have some simpler reports. You are better off matching the acks with the packets and calculating the delays yourself though.

alexgutierrez1964a

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I istalled wireshark but I think ist a little o much info, not like the old analog-x packet analyzer, I really just want to now a hack to trick the ftp porgram into upload the full up speed like it can with several instaces open

TRENDING THREADS