Jan 22, 2020
Hello, I have a GTX 1650 Super, and I would like to limit the MHz to around 1200, maybe 1400 maximum, but it just doesn't seem to work for some reason.

I tried this by lowering the power target from 100% to 70% as well as lowering the GPU boost clock MHz to 1200 on a linear graph, but the software simply ignores my requests and my card goes up to 1680 and sometimes even 1900 regardless! (This is when games like ModernWarfare is being run, although once it actually stayed at 1200)

Is there anything I can do to limit my GPU so it stays at around 1200 or at most 1400MHZ?

Thanks for reading!

(I am using ASUS GPU TWEAK II by the way)

Solution
Around 50C is really low for a GPU and at those temps I doubt that is even clocking that high. Also, most of the times at that temp the fan on the GPU isn't even spinning... that's why you're usually seeing somewhat higher temps at idle or during low loads(50C shouldn't be considered high anyways).

My 1080ti clocks at 1125 MHz when I'm not playing anything intensive... for example I'm playing MotoGP 2020 with a 60 fps frame cap. The card is also sitting at around 50C with the fan not even moving.

Your 1650 should clock much lower aswell if you're not doing anything that's graphically demanding. The fan profile is usually focused on the GPU being silent.

I'd just leave everything as it is. There's no point in downclocking that card...
Hello, I have a GTX 1650 Super, and I would like to limit the MHz to around 1200, maybe 1400 maximum, but it just doesn't seem to work for some reason.

I tried this by lowering the power target from 100% to 70% as well as lowering the GPU boost clock MHz to 1200 on a linear graph, but the software simply ignores my requests and my card goes up to 1680 and sometimes even 1900 regardless! (This is when games like ModernWarfare is being run, although once it actually stayed at 1200)

Is there anything I can do to limit my GPU so it stays at around 1200 or at most 1400MHZ?

Thanks for reading!

(I am using ASUS GPU TWEAK II by the way)

Why would you want to do that in the first place?... I don't get it.

It is possible in MSI Afterburner to lower the frequency that much with a custom frequency/voltage curve.

Jan 22, 2020
Why would you want to do that in the first place?... I don't get it.

It is possible in MSI Afterburner to lower the frequency that much with a custom frequency/voltage curve.

Thanks for your response!
Reason is, although I hear that around 50 is nothing for my card, I really don't like it at these kinds of temperatures so I would like to keep it under 49, as well as the fact that the things that I use it for doesn't really consume much in the first place (runs perfectly fine on much weaker cards / lower minimum GPU requirements), anyway so I think it is kind of unnecessary for it to be anywhere over 1400MHz (I also play at around 30fps)

Do you know if there is any reason why the card would push itself to much higher MHz despite the program telling it not to? Is this something that graphics cards simply do, or is the software I use just ineffective?

Thanks again for reading, and I will try the MSI Afterburner and hope it solves my problem

Around 50C is really low for a GPU and at those temps I doubt that is even clocking that high. Also, most of the times at that temp the fan on the GPU isn't even spinning... that's why you're usually seeing somewhat higher temps at idle or during low loads(50C shouldn't be considered high anyways).

My 1080ti clocks at 1125 MHz when I'm not playing anything intensive... for example I'm playing MotoGP 2020 with a 60 fps frame cap. The card is also sitting at around 50C with the fan not even moving.

Your 1650 should clock much lower aswell if you're not doing anything that's graphically demanding. The fan profile is usually focused on the GPU being silent.

I'd just leave everything as it is. There's no point in downclocking that card. Also, when you'll want to play something more demanding you'll need to go through the hassle of reverting everything back to stock every time.

Solution
Jan 22, 2020

I'd just leave everything as it is. There's no point in downclocking that card. Also, when you'll want to play something more demanding you'll need to go through the hassle of reverting everything back to stock every time.
Okay, thanks so much for your response
I'll try to stop worrying about 50C & leave it around there, especially as the program afterburner is actually applying the settings, unlike GPU Tweak II
I am very grateful for your help, thanks again and hope you have a great week!

Reactions: ChumP

TRENDING THREADS