How Can I Make the Screen Brighter on Battery Power?

Channelz28

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Hi, I can't figure out the power options for screen brightness. I'm using Windows 7 Home on a Dell Latitude E6510 laptop

When I unplug the laptop, the screen automatically dims. The brightness settings in the control panel are set at the highest setting for both battery and plug-in. But the highest setting for battery power is not as bright as the plug-in option. The brightness of the screen is not nearly enough. How can I override this and make it brighter?

I have a dual-boot with Linux and I have no problem with the Linux settings.

Channelz28

Reputable
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks, that's still not enough detail though. I have never used these power settings before. When I go into advanced settings, it says "Power Options" at the top. Then "Balanced [active]" from a drop-down box. Then bunch of settings. Which one do I adjust and what do I adjust it to? I don't see options to change it to plug-in. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2019
Hi,

I do experience the same problem. All brightness settings are set to max, including the ones shown in the above attachment. I've tried the maximum performance schedule as well; the behaviour remains the same: when unplugging the power cord, the screen dims about 30%, while the brightness setting remains 100% of maximum brightness level. It feels like the maximum brightness on battery is hard capped on aprox. 70% of the screen's brightness capacity.

Any idea which setting is responsible for this? Might this be some kind of BIOS setting? The laptop in question is a Lenovo Thinkpad A275 with AMD Radeon R7 graphics. Sadly my company doesn't allow admin rights, so I can't fiddle around too much myself (need a very specific instruction for the helpdesk in case admin rights are required).