How Can I Move My Router Into My Room?

Linkin506

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
My wireless router is in my parents room and I would like to move it into my room so I can plug it into my laptop and my gaming PC once I get it. It is a wireless Verizon router, and it doesn't use a modem, I think it is built into the router, so its like a 2 in 1 kind of thing. Anyway, the router is plugged into the wall with 2 different wires, one is connected to the wall with a normal wall socket like what you use for a phone charger, and the other is a small Ethernet kind of wire that goes into a splitter with 2 small Ethernet sockets, it looks like the letter "T" and all of this gets plugged into the wall, but instead of the normal wall socket, it is another small Ethernet socket, I am sorry if this doesn't make too much sense, I am newer to wires and stuff like that and I am not sure what the smaller Ethernet cables are called. In my room, the room I would like to move the router into, it doesn't have any of those small Ethernet wall socket things, I only have the normal wall sockets. If there is an adapter that I can buy that can plug into the wall so I can plug the small Ethernet wire into it so I can move the router into my room, as long as it isn't too expensive, please tell me. Also, if you need help understanding what I am talking about, I can take pictures so it can help you, help me out. Thanks guys!

Solution
more than likely the wifi router is pretty crappy. i just swapped out a fios router at my house that could barely send it's signal 30 ft!! that dsl router is probably pretty old and just as crappy giving you a weak signal. i would try for a phone line first, the powerline ethernet adapter second. verizon wwill charge for an official phone jack but a quick hole in the wall at floor level to push a line through from the next room would be a do it yourself and easy way. of course your parents might say no to that but you never know.

at least now, you have a lot of options to talk over with them and see what they want to do. the powerline adapter might cost more than having a line put into your room so it may be the better way to go...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what is the router model? it will be on the router itself. the "small ethernet" wire sounds like a telephone line but that would only be if you are on dsl and not fios service.

i don't think verizon even offers dsl anymore so i am confused. the router model will tell me a lot. also ask your folks what the service is they pay for. fios would run through a coax cable which you would not confuse with a small ethernet cable.

if it is a phone line for dsl service you will need to run a phone line into your room. but no need to get into that until am sure what exactly you have and need to do.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so yes you have dsl service. which means to move the router to your room, you will need a phone line in there. the phone company can come in and install one for a price, you can run one into the room yourself from the nearest phone jack, or you can make a small hole in the wall to run the cord through from the nearest room with a jack.

these are pretty much the options. you need a phone line one way or another. this is more than likely going to be your parents choice since it is their house :) ask them how they want a phone line run. they are pretty small so running it down the hall from another room it can be hidden by carpet if it is there.

you need to speak to your parents about how/if they want to run a phone line to your room.

If you can get a phone wire run it should be as simple as plugging the device in their but depending on the house layout running wires in the walls can get expensive at times.

You may want to consider a pair of powerline modules. These in effect make your electrical wiring into a long ethernet cable. It would be as close as you can get to plugging you devices into the router with a long ethernet cable strung over the floor.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
good call, i forgot about that option.

as stated above, you could get the powerline adapter and use it to bring an ethernet connection to your room and not have to move the router. then a cheap router or switch would allow you to split that for multiple connections by ethernet or even your own wifi connection if you get a wireless router for your room.

Linkin506

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
ok thanks guys, but there is no adapter that plugs into the wall with a normal socket and it has the telephone sockets on it? What I was thinking of was something that basically looks like a power line adapter, but with a phone port instead of normal Ethernet and it goes into the wall and just hook up the router there. Is there something like that?

Linkin506

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

yes, I do know about power line adapters, but I heard a few people say they are slow and aren't good and wired is the best way to go.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
quick search turned up this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/dect-wireless-phone-line-extender-a82fy so it seems there is such a thing. as for what can you get in the us i don't know but at least you know they exist. good start anyway :) happy searching

edit: and the power line adapters can be slower than a router but for dsl it is many times fast enough to give you the full speed. they top out around 100 mbs i believe. where a router can be 1000+ mbs. you would only be using it to carry the dsl data which it is plenty capable.

Linkin506

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

wow haha so they do exist! that makes it so much easier for me and my parents now! so I can just plug this into a normal socket near my desk and hook up the router that easily with this? and if that is correct, it will still be as good as a normal wired connection and better than wireless? sorry I am kinda noobish to this stuff, all of your guys help makes my life so much easier!

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i have never used one nor even knew they existed before a few minutes ago. i am going to assume that if the ethernet powerline adapters can send a 100 mb connection through the power line, then this can send the dsl data as well at much lower than 100 mbs. i do know that dsl uses filters on the lines to separate the voice and data streams. and i have absolutely no idea how that will come into play with this. it might work fine, but may also have issues. wish i could tell you more but i don't know more :( i would do some serious reading to verify what it can and can't do as you are in uncharted territory so to speak. at least outside my area of knowledge anyway.

Linkin506

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014

ok I just read a few reviews on it and a few other models and I don't think it will be powerful enough for routers :( but I am thinking of just doing what you guys said and either call the cable guy and see if I can get a phone line outlet for my room, or get a good set of power line adapters, OR just keep using wireless for my laptop and once I build my PC, just put a good wireless adapter in, which do you think would be better?

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
more than likely the wifi router is pretty crappy. i just swapped out a fios router at my house that could barely send it's signal 30 ft!! that dsl router is probably pretty old and just as crappy giving you a weak signal. i would try for a phone line first, the powerline ethernet adapter second. verizon wwill charge for an official phone jack but a quick hole in the wall at floor level to push a line through from the next room would be a do it yourself and easy way. of course your parents might say no to that but you never know.

at least now, you have a lot of options to talk over with them and see what they want to do. the powerline adapter might cost more than having a line put into your room so it may be the better way to go anyway. i think the power line adapters run close to $100 for a good one and last time i had a phone line put in it was about $50 but that was also probably 15 years ago now and i am sure it has gone up since then.

Solution