[SOLVED] How can I prevent my PC from crashing after installing new OLOy RAM?

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
After buying 4x8GB of OLOy's 4000Mhz WarHawk series RAM, I've realized my PC has become unstable despite low temperatures from my CPU and GPU. Regardless of if I run one stick, two, or four, it doesn't seem to work. I don't overclock anything and have left everything in BIOS to default, so the RAM is currently running at 2666MHz, well within the 3200MHz standard of my CPU and the 4400MHz cap of my motherboard.

Is it just faulty memory? Has anyone else experienced this? I've never tried overclocking before, and my attempt at manually tuning it using DRAM calculator didn't go so well.

Any advice would be appreciated, specs below!

Specs:
MB: Asus TUF X570 Plus
Case: Enthoo Pro Full Tower
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x
GPU: MSI Ventus OC RTX 3080
RAM: OLOy WarHawk (4x8GB) 4000
CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2
PSU: EVGA 750 B5 Bronze

Solution
Well, I'm certainly open to learning!
I'm going to try for getting two sticks up to 4000MHz, but it seems if I wanted to use all 4 I would need to manually tune it. The issue is that I haven't found a solid way to test stability. Sometimes it will boot up fine but crash after an hour or so of gaming, while othertimes it won't boot up to BIOS at all. I'll try running two sticks and using DOCP / XMP for now though.
Thank you!
4x8GB 4000 CL18 very likely won't work with your CPU because of memory controller limitations. The best you can reasonably expect is 3800 CL16 or CL18. You are more likely to reach 3600 CL16 and maybe CL14. 3600 CL15 with gear down mode off might work better with 4x8GB. You are also trying to run two...
my PC has become unstable
as in?
applications closing, screen distortion, OS crashing, trouble booting, ..?
Any advice would be appreciated
you can try each stick separately in each DIMM slot, one at a time.
go about your regular routine with each and see if the issue(s) still occur.
this could help to determine if one of the modules or one of the DIMMs is faulty.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
AMD is not nearly as RAM stable as Intel is with a wide variety, "any" type of situation. Where the Ryzen CPU and motherboard have gotten FAR better than they were on the first gen, it is still a good idea to use tried and true/QVL listed, matched sets.

It's hard to recommend this to a user who isn't at least familiar with XMP and OC profiles....You might find that using the suggested "XMP" (AMD calls this something different sometimes) works well and is more stable than the stock setting. You may have better luck slightly tweaking settings, speed, timings, voltage on the RAM manually to see if you can make them stable. Don't take this advice lightly. You can cause serious damage to components by playing with settings you don't understand.

If you DL a program called CPU-Z, it will show you various timings for the sticks of RAM you have, related to the speed (ghz) of them. It is pretty easy to follow along with that and test a few configurations for stability. Pay close attention to voltage. At first I would concentrate on loose timing, and no changes to the voltage. It's also important to check your motherboard literature, in that (particularly with AMD and high speed RAM) most motherboards will support faster speeds when only using two of the slots. The manual will usually show that populating all the slots may both slow the maximum speed you can utilize, but possible timings as well.

Your motherboard manual is here:

E15235_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com)

There are important notes concerning memory configurations in the spec summary, in section 1.4, and 3.5.

Reactions: GSF2021

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
AMD is not nearly as RAM stable as Intel is with a wide variety, "any" type of situation. Where the Ryzen CPU and motherboard have gotten FAR better than they were on the first gen, it is still a good idea to use tried and true/QVL listed, matched sets.

It's hard to recommend this to a user who isn't at least familiar with XMP and OC profiles....You might find that using the suggested "XMP" (AMD calls this something different sometimes) works well and is more stable than the stock setting. You may have better luck slightly tweaking settings, speed, timings, voltage on the RAM manually to see if you can make them stable. Don't take this advice lightly. You can cause serious damage to components by playing with settings you don't understand.

If you DL a program called CPU-Z, it will show you various timings for the sticks of RAM you have, related to the speed (ghz) of them. It is pretty easy to follow along with that and test a few configurations for stability. Pay close attention to voltage. At first I would concentrate on loose timing, and no changes to the voltage. It's also important to check your motherboard literature, in that (particularly with AMD and high speed RAM) most motherboards will support faster speeds when only using two of the slots. The manual will usually show that populating all the slots may both slow the maximum speed you can utilize, but possible timings as well.

Your motherboard manual is here:

E15235_TUF_GAMING_X570-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf (asus.com)

There are important notes concerning memory configurations in the spec summary, in section 1.4, and 3.5.

I'm going to try for getting two sticks up to 4000MHz, but it seems if I wanted to use all 4 I would need to manually tune it. The issue is that I haven't found a solid way to test stability. Sometimes it will boot up fine but crash after an hour or so of gaming, while othertimes it won't boot up to BIOS at all. I'll try running two sticks and using DOCP / XMP for now though.
Thank you!

Thank you!
4x8GB 4000 CL18 very likely won't work with your CPU because of memory controller limitations. The best you can reasonably expect is 3800 CL16 or CL18. You are more likely to reach 3600 CL16 and maybe CL14. 3600 CL15 with gear down mode off might work better with 4x8GB. You are also trying to run two different kits not meant to run together at the rated spec tested for 2x8GB configuration.

Your best bet is to just set something like 1800MHz FCLK, 3600 CL16-18-18-36-54-416 or something close to that. If you want to get into deeper memory overclocking, you might reach 4000 CL18 to CL20 with hours of tweaking and you can try getting better timings with DRAM Calculator for Ryzen, but honestly you wont even gain much benefit in performance over 3600 CL16.

Solution