Question How can I reduce my temperature?

Jun 18, 2019
Intel Core I7 6700
gtx 1070
16 gb ram
I usually get 75+ C while playing Overwatch on Ultra settings.Air cooled.I searched the model of a fan I found inside the pc:Alpine 12 for around 10 euros.
Thinking of buying a liquid(Coolermaster masterliquid ML240L RGB)How does it work and where can I plug it?
I reached 81 degrees today and I am worried.

That's not way too high temperature, specially if not for too long but if you want to go for that liquid cooler, you need a place for radiator either on top or front that can accommodate two 120mm fans next to each other. Plugging it in is not a problem. You need one CPU_Fan connector, one either AiO_Pump or case fan connector that can be set for full speed and one 4pin RGB connector for lights on fans.

lynx1021

Distinguished
It also depends if the liquid cooler will fit the case. I prefer Air my self, AIO's can have hidden failures. Saw review on YouTube where a Noctua’s NH-U12 was a about 2 degrees cooler than a AIO. The only pros I heard was the AIO allows the temperature change to be slower up and down where it will spike with an air cooler.

Mr.Frisfruit

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Are all these included in the package of the cooler or do I have to purchase them separately?

If you want to go for an AIO you should really invest in something better. You will have water running through your system so you want to make sure the connections and tubings are of good quality, which can't be achieved for 60 bucks. Additionally the motor is quite loud and not the best quality. I'd say don't go for anything less than a Kraken X62 if you really want an AIO.

That being said, i'd recommend to stick with air coolers. Your current cooler is not that good so those temps aren't surprising. Put a decent tower cooler on it for 30-40 bucks and it will be quieter, more durable, safer, and probably even better, than any of the cheap AIO's. You get used to a 'less pretty' PC, but you never get used to a leaking or faulty AIO.

Jun 18, 2019
IMG_20190618_184428.jpg

Ok so,I just took a look at the inside of the pc and those are the fans I could find.There is a lot of dust because It's probably the second time I opened the case.Which fan is which?(Also,the one on the top is the Alpine 12 as it says on it's back)I really need to figure out what's inside the pc.Furthermore,on the left,although not visible,is the gtx 1070.

Mr.Frisfruit

Prominent
Jun 17, 2019
Ok so,I just took a look at the inside of the pc and those are the fans I could find.There is a lot of dust because It's probably the second time I opened the case.Which fan is which?(Also,the one on the top is the Alpine 12 as it says on it's back)I really need to figure out what's inside the pc.Furthermore,on the left,although not visible,is the gtx 1070.

The orientation of the picture is abit weird. I assume the right side is the top and you have a topmounted power supply right? The intel fan with the blue sticker is the CPU fan and is the fan that should be replaced. The red fan on the right is your PSU fan which acts as an extra exhaust and the black one on top is your main exhaust. You've got room for a mid-sized tower cooler. These stock intel coolers are not that great since their pins deteriorate and loosen up over time. You want to make sure you buy a decent cooler which fits your motherboard and has proper screws to tighten it.

Jun 18, 2019
Thank you all for your help but I've got a few more questions.So,if I buy an NZXT Kraken X62 liquid-cooler(I've been told that an AM4 bracket is included and I have no idea what that is),will I be able to fit it in and what should I replace it with?Abou that mid-sized tower cooler,where do I put it,what is its purpose and which would you recommend?This is a lot to take in but I am a beginner.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok.
The nzxt Kraken x62 is a 280mm aio. It's a beast of a cooler, I have its predecessor the x61.

Right now you have a case. That case has places for fans. Some are 120mm fans, some maybe 140mm fans. To mount that beast, you'll need a spot that will fit 2x 140mm fans. This is most normally either the intakes in front or 2x exhaust on top. If your case does not have 2x 140mm fan spaces next to each other, you cannot use the x62. If your case only has 2x 120mm spots, you'll need to downsize to the X52, which is a 240mm radiator. With a top mounted psu, you'd need intake mount, and most pre-built or 3rd party OEM like Dell or HP or Lenovo cases do not even have that capability.
This means the only available spot to put a radiator is right where that 120mm alpine12 is sitting right now. That would mean a 120mm AIO and the best is the Corsair H80i varients.

Your case will determine exactly what cooler can be used. Either by fan mount positions and sizes for the AIO radiators, or by case-cpu clearance height for aircoolers.

In your pc, if there is the clearance height, the Noctua NH-D14 or NH-D15S will perform just as good, if not better than the X62, at half the price.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Heh, the TT View 31 is a really nice case, and yes, it supports both AIO's and full custom loop water cooling. With that in mind,
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake - Floe Riing RGB 280 TT Premium Edition 63.19 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($146.25 @ Amazon)
Would be a better choice. Not only has the same fans as the case, but also will sync perfectly with the TT software used to run the case fans. Use of something like the krakens will require not only the TT rgb fan software, but also the nzxt CAM software for the AIO.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2019
Ok,I will buy this case and the cooler you recommended.Now,about the hardware that I already have in my posession.Do I just(not easy for me but will finally do it)remove everything from my case and plug them in the new case with the thermaltake water cooler?Last but not least,there is no compatibity problem,right?Everything should have no problem being plugged in,right?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes and no. Yes, your motherboard is aftermarket. Basically consider it universal fit. There will be instructions with the cooler, but those are universal too, not specific to the case. You have a H110M motherboard, that's mATX, so any motherboard standoffs (very important) must line up with the mATX holes, not the ATX or mITX.

Yes, it'll all move over, but no it'll take some adjustments as there's going to be things that change. What I couldn't find is whether there's an RGB or fan hub included or it's capacity if there is one. Your mobo isn't setup for RGB native and you have just 1 system fan header. The cpu cooler will use the cpu_fan header, which leaves 2x intakes and 1x exhaust on 1 header. Not to mention rgb control. So there will be some adjustments necessary, maybe even needing further splitters or hubs to get everything adjusted right. Simply don't know.

Jun 18, 2019
I watched an unboxing of that specific cooler and there is a hub included with slots for the fans and their rgb.So,that means I'm okay and that I should buy the case and the cooler?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal Design Power (TDP) represents the average power, in watts, the processor dissipates when operating at Base Frequency with all cores active under an Intel-defined, high-complexity workload. Refer to Datasheet for thermal solution requirements.

Thats as defined by Intel, officially. 65w is the Average. At base frequency, 3.4GHz,not turbo at 4.0GHz. Running 4 cores, Not 4 cores with hyperthreading enabled. Not even close to maximum power. For an i7, you'd be looking at closer to 130-140w under Prime95. Which will make a hyper212 scream.

You cannot over-cool a cpu. Not mechanically. It's impossible. The only thing a higher grade cooler will do is lower the fan curve, which lowers fan rpm. This will continue to a saturation point where there's so much cooling ability, fans become relatively unnecessary. Bigger cooler just mean better ability, not necessarily better.

You could easily slap a NH-D15S on that cpu and never hear the fans ramp up under any load. There's a rather large difference between what's comfortable and whats the minimum necessary.

Personally, I can't stand the hyper212, any of them, from the original hyper212 to the hyper212 plus, to the EVO, led, all the same cooler with the same pita! mounting system with nothing but a paint job and a change in fans. It was a mediocre performer to start with, and is still mediocre. The only reason it became popular was its $25 price point putting it $10-$15 cheaper than its competition. Even now, it relies on name to sell, the EVO is $30 and the new Black is over $40. There are far better designs to be had, even the 92mm Raijintek Aidos gets exactly the same temps, if not 1°C better, and really is $20. At 136mm tall.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler ($33.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK - AIDOS 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($18.55 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Amazon)

It's not even a competition any more.

Last edited: