[SOLVED] How can I reduce screen tearing without turning on V-Sync?

May 30, 2020
I'm a Geometry Dash player and have used a 144hz monitor for almost a year and a half. This whole time, I've kept V-Sync on, since it looks better. However, I found out today that V-Sync caps the fps to 60 and adds input delay. Is there any way to keep the benefit of no screen tearing without turning V-Sync on?

Solution
Are you sure it caps your FPS to 60? Since you have a 144hz display, it should rather cap your FPS to 144, to match your refresh rate. I have a 144hz as well, and Vsync caps my FPS to 144. Please check your FPS in game and make sure that Vsync indeed caps your FPS to 60.

My suggestion is: first, see how many FPS you get in Geometry Dash without Vsync. If you are able to consistently go above 144FPS, you should try Fast Sync in the Nvidia Control Pannel. In theory, it prevents tearing without the input lag, and it does not cap your FPS. However, your FPS in game must always be above 144FPS, otherwise it's useless and won't work properly.

Another option, if you really don't want to use Vsync, is a program called RivaTuner which has a...
May 30, 2020
Are you sure it caps your FPS to 60? Since you have a 144hz display, it should rather cap your FPS to 144, to match your refresh rate. I have a 144hz as well, and Vsync caps my FPS to 144. Please check your FPS in game and make sure that Vsync indeed caps your FPS to 60.

My suggestion is: first, see how many FPS you get in Geometry Dash without Vsync. If you are able to consistently go above 144FPS, you should try Fast Sync in the Nvidia Control Pannel. In theory, it prevents tearing without the input lag, and it does not cap your FPS. However, your FPS in game must always be above 144FPS, otherwise it's useless and won't work properly.

Another option, if you really don't want to use Vsync, is a program called RivaTuner which has a function called Scanline sync. From what I understand, it does not prevent tearing, but rather moves the tearline away from the center of the screen, so it is less visible. You might want to check it out if you're interested.

Hope it helps a bit.

Solution