Question how can I remove the broken m2 ssd screw from ssd standoff ?

Oct 2, 2023
Hi guys,

I am new on the forum. I have a problem that ssd screw's head broke and screw's body got stuck in the standoff.

You can see the image below:

bac6cefd40ebbfd0362773b048b59e27.jpeg

How can I remove the broken m2 ssd screw from ssd standoff ? Is it possible ? Or is there a way to remove the standoff without disassembling the motherboard?

P.S : The device has a warranty, but I am not sure if this damage voids the warranty.

Thanks for your help :)

kanewolf

Titan
Hi guys,

I am new on the forum. I have a problem that ssd screw's head broke and screw's body got stuck in the standoff.

You can see the image below:

bac6cefd40ebbfd0362773b048b59e27.jpeg

How can I remove the broken m2 ssd screw from ssd standoff ? Is it possible ? Or is there a way to remove the standoff without disassembling the motherboard?

P.S : The device has a warranty, but I am not sure if this damage voids the warranty.

Thanks for your help :)
I would say this is "user created" damage that is not covered by warranty. If the screw is so tight or cross-threaded that it snapped off, you are facing a difficult problem. From the top-down view it is difficult to determine if ANY of the screw is above the alignment nut. If so, you might be able to use forceps or other small pliers to get it out. MOST other screw removal techniques generate metal filings. NOT a good thing in a laptop. There is not an easy answer. Even removing the motherboard from the case may not provide any relief. the alignment nut could be press-fit into the motherboard. MAYBE if you are lucky, there are threads sticking out the back that you could used to continue threading the screw all the way through. Good luck.

There is a tool known as an "Easy Out".

It's well known among mechanics or anyone who uses hand tools a lot.

I've never used one and don't know how useful it would be in the hands of a greenhorn.

You might consider taking the motherboard or entire PC to a machine shop of some type where you might find someone with Easy Out skills.

Maybe even a PC repair shop?

Inside a laptop, for this level of removal...I foresee many bad things happen
You and me both. Along with Karnak and Blind Lemon Jefferson.

OP needs a skilled practitioner or an entirely different idea.

No doubt the right person can do it, but finding that person may be difficult.

Otherwise: