Question How can I resolve the static electricity issues?

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Until I can complete my office, which will have brand new carpet, I have my computer in the living room on the hardwood floor and connected to my TV. We have a big area rug, but the computer and electronics are not touching this. If my girlfriend or I are on the couch and we put our feet on the ground and get up (or if I'm pulling my desk chair closer to the desk), the sound sometimes cuts out and the screen either goes black or static for 1-2 seconds and comes back with no issue at all.

Since my office will have carpet but doesn't yet, is there anything I can do to stop this happening in the office besides putting the computer on top of the desk? I have already professionally grounded the outlets in the office and living room. Maybe some rubber mat right under the tower? I've never had this issue before moving into this house so I'm not sure the best course of action.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
Are you sure it's static from the rug? Do you hear or feel the discharge when you get up? If you remove the rug does the issue still happen?

is there anything else that could cause static? e.g. you have a fleece throw you use while on the sofa?

Even if it is the rug, it may not be an issue with the office if the material for the carpet is different.

Gymjunkie

Honorable
Apr 15, 2017
Are you sure it's static from the rug? Do you hear or feel the discharge when you get up? If you remove the rug does the issue still happen?

is there anything else that could cause static? e.g. you have a fleece throw you use while on the sofa?

Even if it is the rug, it may not be an issue with the office if the material for the carpet is different.

Sorry, my job keeps me so busy I often forget I made forum topics I need to return to.

First thing I assumed was the rug, however now that I actually put some thought into it I'd have to say it's (at least mostly) the couch as it happens the most when we have our feet up and slide our feet off onto the floor. However I have also noticed it just walking by a few times.

Yes we do have fleece blankets as well, which if the office gets cold next winter as well then I would likely have one in there too.

kanewolf

Titan
Until I can complete my office, which will have brand new carpet, I have my computer in the living room on the hardwood floor and connected to my TV. We have a big area rug, but the computer and electronics are not touching this. If my girlfriend or I are on the couch and we put our feet on the ground and get up (or if I'm pulling my desk chair closer to the desk), the sound sometimes cuts out and the screen either goes black or static for 1-2 seconds and comes back with no issue at all.

Since my office will have carpet but doesn't yet, is there anything I can do to stop this happening in the office besides putting the computer on top of the desk? I have already professionally grounded the outlets in the office and living room. Maybe some rubber mat right under the tower? I've never had this issue before moving into this house so I'm not sure the best course of action.
Put in a humidifier. Low humidity is the prime reason for static electricity.

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I have to zap myself on a metal fitting on the front door (frequent sparks) before going anywhere near the PC.

This is primarily down to the fleece throws on the fake leather sofa and wearing slippers with thick rubber soles...

(Despite the house being actually quite damp, in our case)

So rule out the fabrics (including clothing) and footwear too.