How can I restrict myself from a certain site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013
I have addiction to certain websites (NOT adult sites) where I spend too much time every day and affecting my other parts of life, I want to restrict myself from accessing those sites but
the PC is only used by me and I have hard time getting someone else to remember a password
for me.

Is there any software where it can block myself from certain sites for an assigned period of time
such that it's just impossible to cancel the restriction with password only unless cleaning up the system which I will not certainly want to do

brannsiu

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2013

Ralston18

Titan
Per @ex-bubblehead the solution is indeed "Will Power".

If you are unable to stop yourself then have someone else block the site(s) and lock you out of your router.

Failing that continue to consider yourself "addicted". Especially if visiting the sites is affecting your daily life.

It seems that you have reached the first step already: you recognize and acknowledge the problem.

Although I am aware of things that can be done thereafter I do not feel or believe that I am professionally qualified to advise down that path.

I will say find help. Start with your doctor/care provider and go forward accordingly.

May 15, 2019
There are a few important things to consider here.
  1. you recognize that going to these sites is affecting your life in a way that is not good
  2. you want to change.
  3. you want to be able to restrict yourself but then undo it. This may be your undoing. If this is truly an addiction, allowing yourself to undo the restriction means that you are likely to fail at restricting yourself. I think if you want success you either quit TOTALLY or have someone have control over access to the restriction
  4. You likely need to decide if you can just quit cold turkey - do you really need this site in your life? I recently quit playing a game on xbox to concentrate on other things. Best thing I have ever done. Now I just play fortnite with my kid every so often.

Suggestions:
  1. You can time restrict access to the site. There are various programs/apps/possibly even router settings that can restrict either whole internet access OR site access to either a total time per day or between certain hours. Have someone have that pasword and tell them not to give it to you so you cannot change it.
  2. quit cold turkey and never look back WHILE replacing the addiction with someone else to do. Habits are hardest to break for us humans.

Hope this helps ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.