Question How can I retrieve data from my SSD

rakinar2

Commendable
Oct 26, 2021
So I was having POST issues with my OptiPlex 7080 PC, and I managed to fix it by clearing the CMOS and re-seating the RAM sticks. But the issue is with my SSD. Data corruption. This happened probably because I force restarted the computer. Now I need to reinstall Windows and I don't want to lose my files.

So I want to take a backup of the SSD and after installation, I will restore it. But the data is corrupted- that's the problem.

Is there any way to retrieve the data from the SSD and then restore it?

USAFRet

Titan
So I was having POST issues with my OptiPlex 7080 PC, and I managed to fix it by clearing the CMOS and re-seating the RAM sticks. But the issue is with my SSD. Data corruption. This happened probably because I force restarted the computer. Now I need to reinstall Windows and I don't want to lose my files.

So I want to take a backup of the SSD and after installation, I will restore it. But the data is corrupted- that's the problem.

Clone it to some other device.

But you may just be cloning corrupted data.

The time to protect your data is before the BadThing happens.

Well for starters you need to examine the ssd outside of the windows environment since it is possible that only the windows system files were damaged in your forced restart. So I would download a linux distro and mount it on a usb stick and boot the computer from that. You can then examine your ssd and see which files are intact and which may be corrupted. Best case scenario you can offload your essential data files onto external storage before wiping your ssd and reinstalling windows.