[SOLVED] How can I set a CPU TDP limit in the bios?

K1llrzzZ

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hi!

I have an i9 9900K CPU, and it runs too hot with my current CPU cooler if I turn the turbo boost on. I tested it with the "Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool" and temps go as high as 90-95C, however if I turn the turbo off, i get temps like 48-50C under load with the same program, which is great but that leaves me with the 3.6 Ghz base clock. I'm planning to get a better CPU cooler later, but I want to turn to turbo back on until then to get better performance. First i tought I will lower the turbo target frequency of the CPU, but apperantely you can't do that. However according to this article the 9900K has an official 95W Intel spec, but that is not how it's running out of the box. And when you look at the temps there is a significant difference between no TDP limit and the 95W TDP limit, however this has little to no impact in performance when it comes to gaming (which is what I mainly use this PC for). So my question is where can I set this TDP limit in my BIOS? I have an Asus ROG Strix Z390-H mobo.

In advance thank you guys for your help!

Solution
Easiest thing to do is pick an oc Target and turn turbo boost off... Maybe something in the 4.3-4.6 range check temps and adjust from there