Question How can I set to 5 GHz for 9900K?

colat

Reputable
Jun 3, 2019
9900K has 3.6 GHz by default. How can I overclock it to 5GHz from bios? Is it cpu cooler depandant? I am using regular/normal cpu cooler.

The '3.6 GHz clock speed' is pretty much a minimum boost, and most heavy loads that invoke all threads would likely see 4.6 GHz boost, if power budget /TDP and cooling are adequate... You would see intermittent boosting of 1 or 2 cores at a time to as high as 5 GHz as normal operation...

CHeck HWMonitor while running CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU for a few minutes, then see what max clock speeds are maintained across all cores. (Look for 4.6 GHz)

Assuming a very good cooling solution is acquired, and adequate core voltage is being applied...

Asus Z370/Z390 mainboards have MCE mode in the BIOS, which, when enabled, will allow all core turbo to go to as high as the normal max 1 and 2 core limits of 5 GHz... (Advisory: don't attempt this with some factory junker cooler from an i3-6100, etc... ; if your CPU temps in CPU-Z/bench/stress CPU are already at 80-85C when at all-core 4.6 GHz, you are too warm already, and need not waste your time worrying about fantasies of all-core 5+ GHz action :)...)

Last edited:
Reactions: CompuTronix