[SOLVED] How can I switch off F1 for help?

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
The Windows feature where tapping F1 launches a help screen in Edge is really irritating me. On my laptop, an HP Pavilion 15-bc350na, the Esc key is fairly small and it's dead easy to catch F1 whilst you're tapping it (espeically as a dyspraxic with poor motor skills...!)

It's causing loads of problems like causing full screen applications to shut because I've accidentally tapped it. Can I just switch it off? I've been using Windows for donkeys years and never, ever needed to press F1 for help!
Thanks

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I know to avoid Edge at all costs; that isn't the issue. I use Firefox as my default, and Chrome. But whenever I hit F1, it opens a help page in Edge, minimizing (and often causing a crash in) any full screen applications I'm using, such as games. All I want to know is: What setting do I change so that pressing F1 does not launch the help window?

I know to avoid Edge at all costs; that isn't the issue. I use Firefox as my default, and Chrome. But whenever I hit F1, it opens a help page in Edge, minimizing (and often causing a crash in) any full screen applications I'm using, such as games.
I'm pressing F1 right now while using Firefox... nothing is opening up at all.
F2 does nothing
F3 opens search

I opened up crappy Edge and pressed F1 and the help file opened, so it ONLY opens in Edge - Don't use Edge

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017
I'm pressing F1 right now while using Firefox... nothing is opening up at all.
F2 does nothing
F3 opens search

I opened up crappy Edge and pressed F1 and the help file opened, so it ONLY opens in Edge - Don't use Edge

...did you actually read the above? I don't use Edge. Ever. But there is a setting built into Win10 on my laptop that means whatever I'm doing, whether it's in Word, on my desktop or - crucially in this case - in a full-screen application such as a game, if I press F1, Windows minimizes everything else and opens an Edge window which takes me to Microsoft's Windows help page. I want it to stop doing that because as everyone has said, Edge is absolute carp AND it's causing crashes in other software.

EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion, when I talk about full-screen games, I mean actual PC games not online, browser-based flash games.

...did you actually read the above? I don't use Edge. Ever. But there is a setting built into Win10 on my laptop that means whatever I'm doing, whether it's in Word, on my desktop or - crucially in this case - in a full-screen application such as a game, if I press F1, Windows minimizes everything else and opens an Edge window which takes me to Microsoft's Windows help page. I want it to stop doing that because as everyone has said, Edge is absolute carp AND it's causing crashes in other software.

EDIT: Just to clear up any confusion, when I talk about full-screen games, I mean actual PC games not online, browser-based flash games.
Either
UNINSTALL EDGE and it won't load up anymore!
OR
what is the HELP file that opens up?
It has to be software you have running in the background

al92

Reputable
Oct 29, 2017