Question How can I tell if I also see nice cinematics throughout the entire game?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Before I bought Diablo 2, I saw promotional videos with nice cinematics. However, after I installed it, the game was not like that. Those nice cinematics only showed at the beginning. These days, on streams, a lot of games show nice cinematics. How can I tell if it is like that throughout the entire game or just the opening or a few parts of the game?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
So there is no game that is like movie? The promotional video for "A Plague Tale: Innocence" looks good but I don't know if the real game will be like that. That is the problem.

How about something similar or better than Dragon's Lair in video game centre many many years ago?

I recall that about 30 years ago, there were some cinematic-like games. They were distributed in large Laser Disc format. Anybody remember the name of those games?

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
None of them are as good as the promo, or the cutscenes between levels.

We're not quite at the level of full motion movie quality video, rendered on the fly.

Those things on laser disk from years ago were very, very limited in your movement. Thus, they had far fewer things to try to render. And it was all prerendered. Not on the fly like now.

Reactions: modeonoff

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
None of them are as good as the promo, or the cutscenes between levels.

We're not quite at the level of full motion movie quality video, rendered on the fly.

Those things on laser disk from years ago were very, very limited in your movement. Thus, they had far fewer things to try to render. And it was all prerendered. Not on the fly like now.

How many years will it take to get full motion movie quality video games? Will PCIe5 be sufficient?

USAFRet

Titan
How many years will it take to get full motion movie quality video games? Will PCIe5 be sufficient?
It's not just the PCIe bandwidth. The CPU/GPU/RAM processing power has major impacts on this.
We're just barely getting into pseudo realistic but not quite real ray tracing.

The 1 minute promo video you see took much more time than "1 minute" to render.
Now, do that in real time, with chaotic player movements and explosions.

D

Deleted member 14196

Red Dead Redemption 2 is like a movie all the way through. Online looks just as good too!! In fact you can’t tell the cut scenes from the game. Unfortunately not many games are this well done if you wanna look at gameplay you better watch YouTube reviews

Your only way of telling what game graphics are going to be like these days is to wait until it releases and catch some user made gameplay videos. Sometimes certain people with popular YT channels get review samples before release, but they're usually told to only show what's already been revealed to the public until it launches.