Question How can i test RAM for errors?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

As the title says , how can i test my ram 100% or at least close to it to check for errors in the hardware
I´ve came across memtest86 and memtest86+ but idk if they´re worth
If not , how can i test my ram? I´ve also used windows diagnostic and it said no errors but people say that this is not very reliable
I wanted to test since i´ve been having some exception error codes in games (0xc000005 in BO2) a bit frequent i would say
Tested the cpu through intel stress test , ran aida too and without issues
GPU is fine i guess( no artifacts or anything, no windows crashes)
So which software tool/way is the best to check for ram hardware errors?
Thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's a link to Memtest86 download page from Passmark in that guide.

Memtest should be enough but probably run Prime95 with the settings explained there as well.

You're here wondering best methods to test ram, they are it.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
What do you mean by later? Using the system or more tests?
Also , is it possible that a bad ram can only cause games to crash , no bsods?That´s my case

Thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I mean in memtest, four passes is usually enough but there are cases where errors develop further on.

I had a feeling there was more to this. Ram can cause crashes but so can drivers, temps, gpu, cpu etc. List can be extensive.

You did right to test ram first though.

List complete PC specs and explain the crashes. Bsods or screen freezes?

What do you mean by partition?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I mean in memtest, four passes is usually enough but there are cases where errors develop further on.

I had a feeling there was more to this. Ram can cause crashes but so can drivers, temps, gpu, cpu etc. List can be extensive.

You did right to test ram first though.

List complete PC specs and explain the crashes. Bsods or screen freezes?

What do you mean by partition?
There are two partitions of memtest in bios , is there any difference? Since both work

BO2 crashed 3 times on multiplayer (there were hackers in these matches so i did not bother)
However it also crashed on campaign so it got me worried
I´ve played more intensive games like BF3, Far cry 3(more intensive than bo2 i mean) and no crashes
I have i5 9400f gtx 1060 6gb 1x8gb ram 2666mhz 500w psu
Almost all of my other games crashed at least once
Nioh,DS3, Black flag they all crashed with this error code
In bo2 appears unhandled exception caught in my screen(also one black screen at singleplayer)
DS3 and Black flag crashed to desktop
Nioh black screen
I don´t know if this is just bad luck or if there is something
PC is also brand new but no BSODS or hard crashes

boju

Titan
Ambassador
The partitions just might be how the usb stick was configured. Strange but if both work the same than either one.

If system isnt bsoding or freeze, it wouldn't be your hardware. Faulty parts and or memory will bsod, freeze and sometimes reboot the system. I think this is software related.

Was the system built by you or pre-built?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
The partitions just might be how the usb stick was configured. Strange but if both work the same than either one.

If system isnt bsoding or freeze, it wouldn't be your hardware. Faulty parts and or memory will bsod, freeze and sometimes reboot the system. I think this is software related.

Was the system built by you or pre-built?
I bought it pre built , i only added some fans (3)
Everything is new
I´ve ran intel cpu test before , the official in their site and it was also fine , no issues
I have this PC for about 4-5 months and no , it never hard crashed , BSOD , auto shutdown , nothing critical
I remember one day , i left Dark souls 3 running overnight and it did not crash (it was like 10 hours almost)
Idk now , maybe these games crash on their own? Being the game itself i mean
It can´t be buggy gpu drivers right? I´ve used windows media creation tool and completely wiped the hdd and then installed from nvidia site later
Thank you

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Sorry i missed this. It's been awhile for me since running memtest, can't remember if had to press a key to start testing or it done it automatically. Sounds like its running as it should.
Sorry i missed this. It's been awhile for me since running memtest, can't remember if had to press a key to start testing or it done it automatically. Sounds like its running as it should.
Ok , will post results when it is done

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I bought it pre built , i only added some fans (3)
Everything is new
I´ve ran intel cpu test before , the official in their site and it was also fine , no issues
I have this PC for about 4-5 months and no , it never hard crashed , BSOD , auto shutdown , nothing critical
I remember one day , i left Dark souls 3 running overnight and it did not crash (it was like 10 hours almost)
Idk now , maybe these games crash on their own? Being the game itself i mean
It can´t be buggy gpu drivers right? I´ve used windows media creation tool and completely wiped the hdd and then installed from nvidia site later
Thank you

Sounds more game specific to me. Maybe if search these games specifically you might find help at the game's support forums.

Your system's hardware seems stable anyhow. Another test you can run that compares to more realistic tasks is Realbench;

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7050-asus-realbench.html

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Sounds more game specific to me. Maybe if search these games specifically you might find help at the game's support forums.

Your system's hardware seems stable anyhow. Another test you can run that compares to more realistic tasks is Realbench;

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/7050-asus-realbench.html
Thanks , gonna try this test
Also ran userbenchmark test once , no errors
One thing that i noticed , is that my system was failing to fastboot due to driver issues
I only install the bare minimum but i´ve installed scp toolkit( a tool for dualshock 3 support)
While disabling fastboot got rid of kernel windows errors( not related to the issue) i was still having crashes
I run my PC on two screens , one monitor and one TV ( idk if this can cause issues with drivers)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Running two displays shouldn't cause issues. The DS3 tool shouldn't either but you never know.

Did games crash when you first got the PC before installing anything else relating to programs/tools?

You haven't used any type of easy update driver programs have you?

I suggest running system file checker so it valitades and repair any corrupt or missing core Windows files.

See instructions. If don't know how to open elevated command prompt, search cmd.exe in the Windows search bar and it should list it. Run cmd.exe as administrator and accept user account control warning if it asks.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Running two displays shouldn't cause issues. The DS3 tool shouldn't either but you never know.

Did games crash when you first got the PC before installing anything else relating to programs/tools?

You haven't used any type of easy update driver programs have you?

I suggest running system file checker so it valitades and repair any corrupt or missing core Windows files.

See instructions. If don't know how to open elevated command prompt, search cmd.exe in the Windows search bar and it should list it. Run cmd.exe as administrator and accept user account control warning if it asks.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au...er-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system
I did not play my PC that much when i first got it , had no time but it doesn´t seemed to crash
I did not made any major change to it
Never used these driver update programs
Going to reinstall windows now( i´m going to reinstall it anyway ) so i can test more
Using media creation tool is the best way to wipe hdd and clean install windows right?
Thank you

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I did not play my PC that much when i first got it , had no time but it doesn´t seemed to crash
I did not made any major change to it
Never used these driver update programs
Going to reinstall windows now( i´m going to reinstall it anyway ) so i can test more
Using media creation tool is the best way to wipe hdd and clean install windows right?
Thank you
I have the bare minimum connected to my PC too( m/kb , 1 hdmi for tv , 1 dvi for monitor , 1 headset,network cable)

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Clean install is probably the best way if you don't mind reconfiguring Windows.

Yeah, use media creation tool to download and configure usb drive.

Sounds like you know what you're doing here but ill give some advice if it helps.

If have a second drive, disconnect it to prevent Windows putting boot loader on it. Want boot loader on the primary drive.

When reinstalling Windows, choose the custom install. Next when it brings you to the partitions page, deleted all then click next.

Skip when it asks for a serial number, your Windows will activate again once back online.

There's a point when the system restarts during the install process and usb stick be removed. Otherwise the setup would start again. If this happens, just exit and restart, remove usb stick or change boot order in bios.

Once all done and at the stage of installing drivers, go to your motherboard's website and download/install drivers for chipset, mass storage, audio and whichever else is there concerning drivers.

For your video card, head to GeForce.com/drivers.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Clean install is probably the best way if you don't mind reconfiguring Windows.

Yeah, use media creation tool to download and configure usb drive.

Sounds like you know what you're doing here but ill give some advice if it helps.

If have a second drive, disconnect it to prevent Windows putting boot loader on it. Want boot loader on the primary drive.

When reinstalling Windows, choose the custom install. Next when it brings you to the partitions page, deleted all then click next.

Skip when it asks for a serial number, your Windows will activate again once back online.

There's a point when the system restarts during the install process and usb stick be removed. Otherwise the setup would start again. If this happens, just exit and restart, remove usb stick or change boot order in bios.

Once all done and at the stage of installing drivers, go to your motherboard's website and download/install drivers for chipset, mass storage, audio and whichever else is there concerning drivers.

For your video card, head to GeForce.com/drivers.
It sucks that windows always installs the generic ones for audio and stuff
Is it bad to overwrite it with the ones from my mobo?
After doing all this good to go? Or is there something that i still should do
BIOS latest version forgot to mention
Thank you

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Actually, should probably download lan or wireless driver to another usb stick or somewhere. Just in case Windows doesn't recognise / install network driver for the motherboard. I think Windows should but if it doesn't because motherboard is too new then you'll be left hanging without internet on this machine. Just a safety measure.