[SOLVED] How can I troubleshoot an overheating CPU (liquid cooling) and discover the cheapest fix?

wrhagen93

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017
Hello! I have started having problems with my CPU overheating after ~5 years of ownership and constant use and semi-frequent moving around. As long as I don't start up any applications everything seems to run at normal levels. However, as soon as I start up a program -- even a launch program like the Battle.net launcher -- the fans start to ramp up and, after 10-ish minutes, the computer hits the friendly version of the blue screen. After that if I don't wait before starting it back up my PC will fail to start with a "Hot CPU" warning; probably standard overheating symptoms. The only potential weird symptom is that shutting off the problematic application usually calms the fans back down.

I have tried replacing the thermal paste to no avail, which was unfortunate. My question now is: How can I approach troubleshooting and finding the cheapest fix for an overheating CPU? Never had experience troubleshooting. Would love links to guide, YouTube videos, or your own steps or personal experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Water block might be clogged, water pump might not be performing optimally, water may be leaking, cooler might not be installed properly.
Something is definitely wrong there, because cooler is not doing its' job.

If you replace failed cooler with a working one, this will obviously fix the problem.

wrhagen93

Prominent
Apr 19, 2017

Thanks for the quick reply. Follow-up question, how can you be so sure that this is the definitive fix? I poked around my computer while it was running; the fans were definitely working, and water was running through the pipes (I could pinch the transport tubes a little and hear bubbles forming), and as far as I'm concerned those 2 functions make up the entirety of my water cooler. Am I missing something?

Water block might be clogged, water pump might not be performing optimally, water may be leaking, cooler might not be installed properly.
Something is definitely wrong there, because cooler is not doing its' job.

If you replace failed cooler with a working one, this will obviously fix the problem.

Solution