[SOLVED] How can i undo task killing and moving searchapp.exe files?

Ekusuplosion

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
A few weeks ago i needed to kill the app because it was sapping up all of my bandwidth as i have ridiculously slow internet and ending task wouldnt keep it from doing so as it would just always restart itself. So i found a solution from another thread:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...nning-so/c4cb54ae-0763-4160-90fc-4913620b276b

I followed the instructions from a reply from a member named David_167 (about 1/3 of the way down the page) and it successfully killed the task, however now my issue is that fiber was brought to my area and i no longer worry about bandwidth issues, and with what i did to kill and move searchapp i no longer can use any search function in windows or explorer and it bothers the heck out of me. Restarting my pc did not solve the issue my pc is in an eternal state of not being able to search local files or any such thing. I have way too many things to back up and put back on my pc so i would rather not have to reinstall windows if at all possible. If anyone can tell me how to restore or move back and unkill the searchapp file (aka undo what i did from the thread and person i linked) i would be extremely greatful. I have checked the other pages of that thread and unless i missed something i don't seem to see anyone say how to reverse it either so i figured my last ditch effort would be to make a new thread asking if anyone knows since google also wasn't much help for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Then to revert you'd have to execute following:

cd %windir%\SystemApps​
move Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy.old Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy​
And reboot your pc after this.
Can you list specific actions, you did from that solution?
You'd have to undo them by executing specific opposite commands.

Or you can try System restore to revert to previous windows state. If that was done a long time ago, then system restore point might not be available anymore.

Ekusuplosion

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Can you list specific actions, you did from that solution?
You'd have to undo them by executing specific opposite commands.

Or you can try System restore to revert to previous windows state. If that was done a long time ago, then system restore point might not be available anymore.
I basically followed these specific instructions to the T: "
The following commands worked for me. You have to paste them into in Administrator-level Command Prompt again and again until the timing is right and the "move" works.

cd %windir%\SystemApps
taskkill /f /im SearchApp.exe
move Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy Microsoft.Windows.Search_cw5n1h2txyewy.old
"

I did not do his optional advice. I did as he said and pasted it a few times until it took effect, and ever since i cannot use search in windows. The restore point would be too recent so my only option is to find a way to reverse what i did or reinstall. I would like to try my best to undo the issue though because a reinstall would be a real pain considering everything id have to back up and reinstall as well as re-customizing every little tweak in windows such as driver and display settings, power settings and many other things. I really appreciate any help people offer. Thank you.