Question How can places continue to supply molex to sata adaptors that catch fire without getting sued?

Notatallsvelte

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
Apparently they are well known to cause fires in your pc, if you have a certain type, how is this possilble!
I just bought one off amazon with thousands of reviews, but I'm still terrified!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Virtually anything can cause a fire if not properly used. What exactly are you trying to do here?
I am guessing related to this thread:

If the PSU doesn't have the necessary cables/connectors, use of an adapter is NOT recommended.

Reactions: ex_bubblehead

Notatallsvelte

Reputable
Jan 30, 2020
"The cause is a new SATA specification which includes the ability to disable power to the hard disk. When you look at the SATA power connection on the back of your hard drive, there are 15 pins that make contact with your power supply. It's the third pin that delivers a 3.3V signal that disables the drive. What we need to do is prevent that third pin from making contact with the power cable."

Seems to be a well known issue, I thought it would be better than messing around with tape, I guess not.

I still don't see how the lower quality adaptors are still able to be made, they should be illegal, and anybody/everybody that suffered from them able to sue the companies into oblivion.

Have you ever tried to sue a no-name Chinese manufacturer for anything? There's a reason they don't put a brand name on their stuff, or don't bother to register any name they do use, because it will be changed frequently anyway.

I had a 2 Molex-to-PCIe 6-pin power adapter catch fire, and discovered approximately 27 gauge copper-clad wire in it. They had bothered to make two colors of special 27 gauge wire with extra-thick insulation and print 18AWG on it just to save a few cents, making their product unfit for purpose.

It's not just the adapter that is the problem but bad SATA power plugs in general which can even appear on PSUs--there is less than 1mm of plastic separating power and ground on even a good molded SATA power connector so if it's badly made or the kind with removable pins there will be even less plastic in-between (or lower-quality, somewhat conductive plastic) which can easily burn up.

In your case you don't even need any adapter but just to cut the orange 3.3v wires from your current SATA plugs. The PSU is likely out of warranty anyway since they've changed to following the newer SATA standard for more than 5 years now.