[SOLVED] How can you use the B550 motherboard HDMI port?

Jun 3, 2020
The new AMD B550 chipset finally got HDMI ver 2.1 support, but it does not support Ryzen processors with integrated graphics like the Ryzen 3 3200G with Vega 8, or Ryzen 5 3400G with Vega 11.
and in the new line of AMD's processors they ditched the integrated Radeon Vega ability.

So what is the point of having an HDMI port on the motherboard if you can't use it because no CPU with graphics ability is supported?

Am I missing something here?
If you are going to need to have an external graphics card anyway on the B550 motherboards and use it's hdmi port, there is no use for the on board HDMI port?

Last edited:
Solution
There will be newer Ryzen APUs with integrated graphics coming that WILL be supported. That is why it there.

They didn't "ditch" anything. ALL of the Ryzen CPUs, except for the APU models, lack integrated graphics. It has always been that way, even since the AM3 and AM3+ days.
There will be newer Ryzen APUs with integrated graphics coming that WILL be supported. That is why it there.

They didn't "ditch" anything. ALL of the Ryzen CPUs, except for the APU models, lack integrated graphics. It has always been that way, even since the AM3 and AM3+ days.

Solution
Jun 3, 2020
So if I want to build a new media computer for home cinema, there is no point of waiting for the new b550 hdmi 2.1 feature, because it going to take a long time before I can have an APU that can use it.
So it's better right now to stick with the current Ryzen 3200G or 3400G with a B450 board. like the asus B450M-A that got HDMI 2.0b that is enough for 4k HDR playback. and maybe upgrade later on with a graphics card that supports HDMI 2.1.

So as I understand it.
the new b550 motherboard ports are useless for the next 4-6 months, because no APU can support it.

No, they are not "useless". They are just not useFUL for what you want. This is not uncommon, in fact, this is EXACTLY how every generational release for AMD has been for the last four years, and probably longer, also including the A series APUs and CPUs from pre-Ryzen architectures.

And as mentioned, if the TV or monitor you are trying to use this with does not also have HDMI 2.1, then even if you had a B550 board and a compatible APU today, it wouldn't do you any good. So you should verify that as well because a lot of devices being sold still do not have HDMI 2.1 support. There also isn't a lot of reason to HAVE higher than 60hz if this is media device and not used for gaming and if it IS for gaming, you don't want to use an APU anyhow as the performance isn't going to be good enough to even CARE whether it can do better than 60hz in any case.

Reactions: boju