How capable is this pre-built pc? (An alternative in case I cannot build a computer myself)

Jared_30

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
I am a 16 year old with a dream to have a powerful desktop computer... for some reason. I plan to make that dream happen. I would love to build a desktop, as it would be a both a great learning experience and much more cost-effective than purchasing a pre-built one outright, though I think it would be very time-consuming. But, in case I do not have the time to complete this task, or in the event in which I have no one to help me along the way, I will need to purchase a pre-built pc. So, to clarify, I'm not asking which of the two is better, but rather how well the pre-built PC's performance would live up to that of the built PC's. I have found a pre-built (how many times am I going to say "built" during this?) by Skytech that has received a substantial amount of praise on Amazon-- it has 4.5 out of 5 stars. I am only going to go into basics with this comparison.

I plan to use the desktop primarily for music producing (using FL Studio), Warframe, and Mortal Kombat XL, with all games being played at 1080p. For gaming I am not willing to go under medium quality (let's be honest, low quality looks nasty). I am unsure if either of the games listed will be capable of utilizing all cores of either of the CPUs, but I know for a fact that FL will.

Here are the Skytech pc's specs, along with a link to its page on Amazon:

CPU: FX-6300, 6 core @ 3.8GHz
GPU: GTX 750 Ti, dedicated w/ 2GB (memory type unspecified, likely DDR5)
RAM: 8 GB DDR3-1866
Storage: 1 TB HDD, 7200rpm
Cost (excluding monitor): $599

*Keyboard and mouse included with the product

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/SkyTech-Archangel-ST-FX6300-8GB1TB-GTX750TI-Computer-FX-6300/dp/B01CUZKM3C/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1472746338&sr=1-2&keywords=gaming+desktop&refinements=p_36:50000-60000&linkCode=ll1&tag=techriggstwo-20&linkId=475e46197914f7107fe9b8500bafd71a

Here are the specs for the PC I would like to build:

CPU: i3-6100, dual-core @ 3.7GHz
GPU: GTX 1050, 2GB DDR5
RAM: 8 GB DDR4-2133
Storage: 1 TB HDD, 7200rpm
Cost (excluding monitor): $562.99

*The cost truly includes everything but the monitor. It includes the wifi-adapter, the case, the keyboard, etc.

Jeez, after typing that I really hope I can build it. It sounds like you literally pay less for more. But maybe the Skytech is better than I am thinking? Or maybe my PC build isn't as great as I'm thinking. Is the price for the Skytech PC decent? Every response helps. Thank you.

Solution
The i3 build is better in every way. I would not buy a pre-built PC. They use cheap parts and it's often not assembled very well. They are usually not very reliable. It would not hold up well.

Jared_30

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

So if I am not able to build one does that mean I should drop this whole thing rather than purchase a pre-built system?

Jared_30

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016

That's a really good point, I didn't think of that. So building one myself sounds like it saves me more both now and in the future... that's awesome