[SOLVED] How Carriers Locks their routers

Jun 13, 2021
Hello there

The forum is really helpful & I got a few answers

I want to ask about how telecommunications locks their devices especially cellular routers ?

Lets say an example
Huwaei 5g routers are distributing to telecommunication companies & its locked
Is it locked via software or via board.

I read few articles some 5g routers is locked via motherboard if anyone want to break the lock the board must be burned of manufacture details or downgrade the software which causes frequencies setting to be ruined

So if there 5g routers nowadays with locked carriers why people cant unlock it very easily ??

Solution
Depends on the country but many countries have laws that say if you have fully paid for the device they must unlock it. Some ISP give routers out for pretty much free and unless you buy one from them they will not unlock them.

The problem though many times is not the unlocking. The device may not have the proper hardware. Even the same device model can be configured differently when it is manufacture to say operate only on certain radio bands.

Maybe a example from the cell phones. Verizon uses cdma...although I have been told they use voice over LTE now. Almost every other provider uses GSM. It really doesn't matter if you unlock a GSM phone it still can not operate on a CDMA radio tower.

You would have to very closely...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello there

The forum is really helpful & I got a few answers

I want to ask about how telecommunications locks their devices especially cellular routers ?

Lets say an example
Huwaei 5g routers are distributing to telecommunication companies & its locked
Is it locked via software or via board.

I read few articles some 5g routers is locked via motherboard if anyone want to break the lock the board must be burned of manufacture details or downgrade the software which causes frequencies setting to be ruined

So if there 5g routers nowadays with locked carriers why people cant unlock it very easily ??
The carrier has no motivation, unless there is a government requirement, to provide the ability to unlock hardware. Carriers subsidize the hardware cost to you, and make it up in subscription costs. If you could buy subsidized hardware, and then simply move it to another provider, they would lose money.
The other problem is there are many different implementations which are labeled as "5G". They may be totally incompatible in frequencies.

Jun 13, 2021
Thank kane for replying
But the one thing I didn't find out
How the carriers locks their routers limited to them is it software based or hardware

Where I can the key points how they can lock & what are the grounds that sometimes they provide like an unlock code

Is via Imei the lock carrier process ?
What are the ways the hackers do to manipulate routers to unlock carriers restrictions

Jun 13, 2021
Am not looking for this to do myself or advising anyone to do that therefore I declare I have no intention in doing any of that .

I have a research about specific case happend & I want to gather as many information I need thats why I mentioned I need key Points where to start

Depends on the country but many countries have laws that say if you have fully paid for the device they must unlock it. Some ISP give routers out for pretty much free and unless you buy one from them they will not unlock them.

The problem though many times is not the unlocking. The device may not have the proper hardware. Even the same device model can be configured differently when it is manufacture to say operate only on certain radio bands.

Maybe a example from the cell phones. Verizon uses cdma...although I have been told they use voice over LTE now. Almost every other provider uses GSM. It really doesn't matter if you unlock a GSM phone it still can not operate on a CDMA radio tower.

You would have to very closely read the fine print on the device to see if it is compatible with the provider. You will for example see lists of LTE bands it supports.

After that I guess it depends on what the rules are for unlocking the device both from the provider and the government.

Solution
Jun 13, 2021

You would have to very closely read the fine print on the device to see if it is compatible with the provider. You will for example see lists of LTE bands it supports.

After that I guess it depends on what the rules are for unlocking the device both from the provider and the government.
Informative reply thank you for sharing this knowledge Know I can start my research based on your reply thank you for understanding & explaining in an informative way