[SOLVED] How close would a Freezer 34 Esports Duo be in performance to a H80i v2?

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
I was wondering, how close would a Freezer 34 Esports Duo be in performance to a H80i v2?
I don't really care about the noise, as long as it doesn't sound like a jet. So in terms of temperature what would the difference between the two coolers be?

Solution
but surprisingly it seems to be at the performance (in terms of temperature) of the Mugen 5 and Fuma 2.
...yes, in "terms of temperature". But at such high fan rpm, probably any decent 35$ is capable to keep that temperature (for that CPU) -good cooler however, must be silent at that.

And as @hotaru.hino mentioned (above): used on 65W TDP CPU. As soon you go step upwards (above 100W TDP CPU), you're already limited: 4 heat pipes just can't transfer that much heat as 5 (or more) pipes can -fan rotates at high speed, but heat from CPU is not coming in big enough amount.
About PC noise.. I'm sensible to it and I hate it. Some say, it doesn't really disturb me.. and I wonder :)

Again, I'm not saying Arctic is bad.. is just...

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
h80ivs.jpg
H80i GT and V2 perform the same, this may be an older review but it will still gives you a good comparison of the performance. As far as noise goes the eSport is roughly the same in that category as the H80i in quiet mode. You can find the review here.

I can't speak for that particular Arctic Freezer cooler, because I have no personal experience with it. But judging from images, it looks like a mid-range small(er) tower cooler and I'm not really impressed by it.
From your signature I see you have 3900X... I would add 5$ and get Scythe Mugen 5 rev.B instead. I used it on 3700X and can confirm it's an excellent cooler in 50-55$ range. And for 60$ you can get Scythe Fuma 2 which I use now on 5900X.
I decided for air cooler -if that answers your question :)

xxscienceboyxx

Honorable
Nov 30, 2018
I can't speak for that particular Arctic Freezer cooler, because I have no personal experience with it. But judging from images, it looks like a mid-range small(er) tower cooler and I'm not really impressed by it.
It's a small looking cooler, but surprisingly it seems to be at the performance (in terms of temperature) of the Mugen 5 and Fuma 2. This video has benchmarks comparing it with those coolers.

Anyway, yes I'm also leaning towards getting an air cooler, like you did. $30-50 more to get a water cooler wouldn't really be worth it for just a few degrees.

I run a Freezer 34 eSports Duo on my 3700X. It manages to keep the CPU to around 60C on a modest fan profile. But that's a 65W TDP rated CPU. I'm sure it'll be a different story on a 95W or higher CPU.

In any case, if noise is a concern, I've found 9/10, the source of most of the noise is from the case fans, not the CPU or GPU fans.

but surprisingly it seems to be at the performance (in terms of temperature) of the Mugen 5 and Fuma 2.
...yes, in "terms of temperature". But at such high fan rpm, probably any decent 35$ is capable to keep that temperature (for that CPU) -good cooler however, must be silent at that.

And as @hotaru.hino mentioned (above): used on 65W TDP CPU. As soon you go step upwards (above 100W TDP CPU), you're already limited: 4 heat pipes just can't transfer that much heat as 5 (or more) pipes can -fan rotates at high speed, but heat from CPU is not coming in big enough amount.
About PC noise.. I'm sensible to it and I hate it. Some say, it doesn't really disturb me.. and I wonder :)

Again, I'm not saying Arctic is bad.. is just an average entry tower cooler. So my opinion stays: if you're ready to pay 45$, then add those 15$... because you will need to listen to it for years :)

Solution
On a side note, Tom's Hardware has a review of it at https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/arctic-freezer-34-esports-duo-cooler,6352-2.html

In any case, ultimately the question of cooling comes down to "what are you trying to cool", which I didn't see in the OP or anywhere else. If you were cooling a 35W TDP CPU, then definitely go with an air cooler of this caliber. If you're running a 105W TDP CPU, then it might be a toss up. If you're trying to cool a 200W TDP CPU... oh boy.

Reactions: BogdanH
I just installed the 34 duo on my wife's 2600x since her h100iv2 start having issues after 4 yrs and so far it is doing a fantastic job.
She is not a gamer or doing any kind of productivity intensive tasks so it may never ramp up the fans on it unless I am testing, or benchmarking her system.
Temps @ idle 26c
Running Heaven Bench at a steady 46c on a continuous loop.
Running Aida64 Fpu it topped out at 74c per ryzen master after 10 mins.
Fans are very tolerable.
Room that is about 22c/ 71f-72f

I have the fan curve set
40c-45%
60c-65%
75c-80

I would not hesitate to purchase it agian between it and the h80i.

TRENDING THREADS