[SOLVED] How come my OC crashes when gaming, but not during stress test ?

proropke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014
I can overclock my 6600k to 4.5Ghz and it would be fine on stress test, it would be fine in pretty much any AAA title like GTA 5, however on warzone, if its anything higher than 4.0 it will crash within 15 minutes, usually within first minute. I just find this super Odd.

Last edited:
Solution
It's related to the OC, but the OC isnt the cause, but a victim. It's most likely the game itself.

Different engines use different programming and for the 99% most part, you'll have 0 issues with OC stability. But just like ppl who advise running a stress test overnight, it's that 1% that never happens, that finally does.

No OC is 100% stable, as soon as you change any single parameter, you are at 99% at best.

And some programs just have a better chance at finding that 1% anomoly and causing a crash.

To get around that you'd need to change things in your OC, add a few more mV, change c-states, change ram timings, something will work, it's just a matter of finding it. Although you may not be happy with the results.

proropke

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2014
Every program loads the CPU a little differently, but I would guess something like an AVX load perhaps? You might have to set an AVX offset of like 4.0Ghz or something.
Alright, now it's crashing even without overclock, looks like power issue, but PSU passed stress test... It must be stupid game coded so badly that it injects into system 32 and corrupts files causing pc to shutdown lol

Last edited:

Jumpingmonkey2

Honorable
Mar 30, 2015
Are you increasing boost clocks or base clock? I've found my 2500K was stable 4.6GHz 1.3V, but if I tuned turbo to run at that it would bsod even with voltage closer to 1.35V.
Tried various LLC setting, but nothing worked, stable during prime95 small ftt but would crash watching a youtube video.
Fixed voltage and fixed clock made it rock solid.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's related to the OC, but the OC isnt the cause, but a victim. It's most likely the game itself.

Different engines use different programming and for the 99% most part, you'll have 0 issues with OC stability. But just like ppl who advise running a stress test overnight, it's that 1% that never happens, that finally does.

No OC is 100% stable, as soon as you change any single parameter, you are at 99% at best.

And some programs just have a better chance at finding that 1% anomoly and causing a crash.

To get around that you'd need to change things in your OC, add a few more mV, change c-states, change ram timings, something will work, it's just a matter of finding it. Although you may not be happy with the results.

Solution